1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OMG do I want this bass!!! (Fender and Mastodon content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Holy War, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    :hyper::hyper::hyper:

2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Great band, great song, great bass. New album tomorrow, so stoked.

3. I was looking at one of those in GC Saturday, an American Deluxe Precision.

4. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I dont think it is. Its silverburst (never seen that on a deluxe P), and it looks to me like there are only three controls vs. the 4 on deluxe P's. I think it may be a one off or a custom body

edit: and oh ya...NEW RECORD TOMORROW!!!!! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Looks like its at least a custom color, if not a full on custom.

I like it. The silverburst always struck me as more of a gibson thing (see the LP in the video) but maybe they're going for some band unity in terms of color.

6. PapaJustice

PapaJustice

Dec 28, 2007
    Boston
    It's an American Deluxe Precision in a custom color--they all have that silverburst thing going on. It used to have 4 knobs-- looks like the mid knob now has tape over it.

l_858b115a7c93b824fa2425db7d6621e8.

l_53a30a73115c49f2bdfa1c134a2914d8.

It is a beautiful instrument. I'll be hearing it in person in May!!

7. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    as will I :hyper:

so that solves the problem right there. Did he paint it himself or did Fender do it for him?

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I can dig it. Silverbursts haven't really floated my boat previously, but on a P with a black pg it looks hella nice.

9. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    doesnt it though!

10. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Great bass, but the new album is... well, let me just say that cocaine is a hell of a drug.

11. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    i couldnt disagree more....I really enjoy it

12. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    More power to you, but I really, really disliked it upon first listen ; I'll give it another shot though. The same thing happened with Blood Mountain and I even if I tried to like it, I eventually stopped caring and just popped Leviathan back in my CD player.

13. So it's obviously a P-bass, but what about that extra pickup? Is that standard on the model?

EDIT: I saw them at Roskilde Festival in '07 - damn, that was a great show. One of the best concerts I've ever been to!

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, that double-J pup is standard on the P Deluxe.

15. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm sort of the same on the new album, I've only listened through it once but seemed alot weaker than their other stuff. I'm going to listen through it a few more times though, I feel like it'll grow on me.

I thoroughly enjoy Blood Mountain, as much if not more than Leviation. But I really hope Mastodon doesn't slide down the slippery slope to Nickelback-ish "post grunge" garbage like so many rock bands these days.

16. I thoroughly doubt that they will ever take that road. It's hardly a slippery slope from the genre Mastodon are currently in... Pretty far from it, I'd say. But none-the-less, I share your concern for their musical quality staying at as a high level as it is now.

Getting one of those Precisions is looking more and more attractive... I've been gassing for a P/J bass for a while. They come as a fiver too, right?

17. sedcond pic looks like he's got a fart stuck sideways

18. PapaJustice

PapaJustice

Dec 28, 2007
    Boston
    I'm going to guess that he had it done by Fender-- it almost exactly matches the paintjobs on Brent and Bill's guitars. If I understand correctly, that isn't an easy paintjob to do unless you're a professional, and his is perfect. I think the new album is killer-- a real evolution for them-- you can see how the themes in the album relate to Brent's whole head trauma experience. SO EXCITED TO SEE THEM IN MAY!!

19. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Not any more, but they pop up often used.

20. I just saw that a Fender American Deluxe P in a five string version has been discontinued. That really sucks... That would have been THE bass for a rock band. Damn... I guess I'll have to hunt for one once I have the money!

It would be cool to get the silverburst finish done by Christian Celinder, since he's a bit of a pro with finishes.

EDIT: Thanks, Darkstrike. I'll have to keep my eyes open!