Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OMG DUDZ VUT Z KEWL SNGZ 4 GIITARRR!!! LOL!!11

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, so...

... I kinda suck at bass
    ... but I really suck at guitar.

... I'm not going to get lessons for guitar, because it doesn't interest me enough to want to become... Yngwie.

So, one thing I did to get adequate/learn new techniques for the bass was to learn other songs. So what are some good guitar 4 n00bs. I'm actually slightly below intermediate rhythm guitar. I don't want to learn flashy leads, just cool riffs.

Why am I not asking a forum full of guitarists. 1) I don't like talking to 60% of guitarists 2) Bassists know a good guitar riff, 60% of guitarists don't.

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    don't really know what you're into, but nirvana is a place to start if you like it.

i also recommend pearl jam. i still have to practice "elderly woman..."

for drop d, tool is really good. oh, wait--you only think they are "ok." :spit:

hmm...i also like playing smashing pumpkins stuff.

just listen closely to what you like already, but from a beginning guitar player's view. and ask, "am i going to be able to play this in a reasonable amount of time?" if so, try to learn it.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Actually, everytime I have to teach someone how to play guitar/bass/drums, I tell them to learn Nirvana's nevermind album. Everything is so simple, but so good.

But I'm looking for slightly more advanced than that.

4. Learn Tool songs.

Adam is great at writing catchy rhythm riffs.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Smashing Pumpkings. Especially their earlier stuff like Gish and Siamese Dream. Tons of good riffs. Not really easy, but not too hard, either.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Some STP is a good idea.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    both the pumpkins and stp are great suggestions. try older sabbath hendrix, cream, etc.
    any riffs you play on bass you can do on guitar, plus you can insert chords and intervals where appropriate.
    for real eye openers try rolling stones tunes
    the bass and the 2 guitars are all doing different things. no one's really playing all that much, but together it sounds great - the guitars are easy to pick out as they are always panned hard left and right.
    i used to play both and i really want to get a guitar again. i actually sold my guitar after i got married and had my 1st kid as i found with my limited time i would end up playing guitar rather than bass when i was home because the guitar was more entertaining when played by itself. plus i needed the cash. but i really did it to force myself to play bass when i had the time. Nevertheless, playing guitar will definitely enhance your bass playing as it will give you a very good feel for how they compliment each other in the context of various songs and styles. Besides, learning the full chords to the songs you play (rather than just the roots) will help you understand the bass lines and let you know the appropriate chord tones/mode to play when creating your own lines or altering existing ones.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They are the heaviest band on earth.

9. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    You like Buckethead. Listen to him.

Not the crazy solos. That's Yngwie-wannabes only. ;)

But Buckethead writes some hellacious rock riffs, and great great great acoustic compositions.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Black Sabbath...

Metallica...

Iced Earth...

Anthrax...

Green Day...

ya, that should hold you over for a little while.

11. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I second the STP. I always like learning some of John Fruciante's lines too.

12. LOL

13. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I believe you are mistaken, please have a look at 'The Fat Boys' over here:

http://thebox.free.fr/fat.html

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    gee, did i offer too much advice/insight????

i shoulda said - "dude!! wyld stallyons rulz!!!!!"

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Actually yeah, I dig that abstract riff writing... the man is a god.

Great suggestions everyone, thanks.

Mike: All my guitar riffs sound like Tony Iommi wannabe riffs, that's my current "genre" as a guitarist.

16. Any song being played on mainstream radio right at this moment could probaly be taught to a Noob

Check out Some of Neil Youngs rockier stuff, thats pretty easy and cool to play.

Pretty much anything that involves power chords.

Oh i got it, SMOKE ON THE WATER!!! EASY!!!!!!

17. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Excuse my noobness, but might I ask which abnds Buckethead has played with? Or is he a loner like Steve Vai? :p

As far as song recommendations, I'd check our Liquid Tension Expirements "Biaxident", and Joe Satriani's "Summer Song" some parts of those songs me be damned impossible for mortals, but some of the catchier riffs in those songs are eeasier to play.

18. Well, very recently, Buckethead made a CD with Les Claypool, Bernie Worrell, and Brain, Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains.

Rush has got some nice guitar work that I enjoy playing when I get my hands on a guitar. The Beatles and Rolling Stones have nice riffs to play.

19. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Any projects/bands before that?