1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OMG!!! Fender Geddy J/B up to $1219!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jayce Bass, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Just got the new GC catalog, and the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz is now over $1200! :eek::eek::eek: They say this is $300 off of list of $1513. It's now more than the beautiful MTD 5 Strings. Wow....Japaneese workmanship must cost much more these days. Glad I got mine for $729 back in the day.

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Yea its been that way since like feb.

3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Is it Groundhog Day ? :D

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's the Fender price hike. Do a search of the forum and you will find about 47 1/2 threads on the subject. But you are right, that's a bit much.

5. Welcome back from wherever you've been, this issue has been beaten to death for the last 4 months or so. :p

6. I had heard about fender and others raising prices, but last time I was in GC.... maybe 2 months ago, it was only like $850. Wonder what happened? I did note that Gibson SG (faded) guitars had gone up about $100....Geez, Fender, this is a bit overboard, methinks.

7. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I know this has been worked over in a thread elsewhere, but... this is crazy. The GL is a decent bass and a step-up from a MIM but man not worth anywhere near $1219. Any bass that costs that much should at least have functional tuners and decent wiring. The GL having neither.

I guess if people are willing to dish out that kind of jack they'll sell them.

8. you couldda got it for $599 a little over a year ago

9. The new pricing was effective 2/1, NOS pieces were sold at the old price.

10. Looks like yet another thread to be assimilated.

11. Yeah, the tuners are crap.... have to admit. Got mine in '03-04... ordered in brand new and set up. These prices are as much as the current american standards? Yes? Or fairly close?

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The tuners have been upgraded to vintage Fender open gear stamped tuners, The Geddy never had a problem with wiring and comes standard with MIA original vintage pups along with cts pots! doesn't get much better than that! As far as the price goes I remember all the hoopla about this and the Miller bass being so much better than MIA basses and now that they have raised the prices sky high people have a problem. I guess they were good enough then but not at the new price!

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I, too, know the Fender price increases have been beaten to death. But I gotta say, I'll take a Lakland Skyline DJ all day long for $1189 over a Geddy at $1219.

14. I picked one up on craigslist 6 months ago for $350-im kicking myself for getting rid of it so quickly.

15. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    dead-horse.

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Groundhog day. My favorite hoiday.

17. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Just about everything in the Fender/Squire lineup has been raised to the next tier.

Classic Vibe is around where MIM used to be, MIM is where CIJ used to be, CIJ is where MIA used to be and MIA is close to Custom Shop.

18. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    "STICKY: FENDER PRICE HIKES. YES, WE KNOW."

19. I disagree :meh: I find that to be a bit too general. Fender basses are still quite hit-or-miss. I lucked out and found a Classic Vibe Jazz that was very nice. I also happened to try it side-by-side with an 08 American Jazz Standard and was disappointed with the latter, which is now around $1300. Not to turn this into a flame-war, but IME, it is still best to try any Fender/Squier before you buy it. Fender is capable of making great instruments, you just have to find them!

20. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Prices in general are rocketing here as well for musical stuff. It ain't just Fenders.

The Markbass combo I paid just over £700 for three years ago is now £1200 in most retailers. I bought a new Ric 4003 in 2004 for £900 - same bass from same people is now £1900.

C'est la vie...