Omg i pulled a jaco

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfunk329, Jul 9, 2008.

1. bassfunk329

bassfunk329

Jul 5, 2008
    yo i was really bored last night and decided hell ill make two of my basses fretlees so i was reading how to. And the one bassplayer mag i have with randy jackson on the cover had a section on jaco and the bass of doom or whatever and so i was reading and it said he did it with a butter knife and i decided to do it with a knife and so i got to work and to tell you it didnt come out all that bad and so i got a acoustic ibanez and a piece of **** squier fretless anyone else do the same or just made somethin fretlles:eyebrow:

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Pfft.
    Jaco didn't read any magazines.
    Wanna-be.

3. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Haha, cut him a bit of slack, he's new.

Welcome to TB. :D

There's a whole sticky on defretting around here somewhere if you look hard enough.

4. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    What did you fill the holes with?

5. bassfunk329

bassfunk329

Jul 5, 2008
    i didnt fill em yet but its goin to be filled with wood fillier and mark wilson he didnt have to read a mag to have section put on his bass

6. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    He was joking, son.

Relax.

7. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Sentences. They are your friends.

8. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    Yeah.. The wannabe thing was definitely either a joke or a troll. Ignore it.

I did mine.. I used a pair of end cutters I ground down flush (less gouging than a butter knife.

Filled it with bondo, then surfaced it with some superglue. It came out awesome. <$20 in materials, and I turned a bass that I never played anymore into something useful.

-Nick

9. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    I recently defretted my Fender Squier Precision. It would play nicely if it wasn't a piece of crap. It's probably because I'm not such a huge fan of the Precision sound, and the lack of a bridge pick-up kind've takes away the specific sound I want. I make up for it by leaving roundwounds on there though. I can always resand the thing if I want to fix the scratches. Flatwounds are on my Warwick fretless :hyper:
    Let me know how yours play when they're finished.

10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I practiced on an electric guitar the first frettless I made...

So I have a frettless guitar now... hard to play chords on!

11. bassfunk329

bassfunk329

Jul 5, 2008
    Yea but i didnt use a butter knife i used like a hunting knife and it really didnt do that all of damage just some slight chips but that should be no problem

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Can't you heat the fret up a bit first with a soldering iron to help melt some of the glue to make removing easier?

13. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yeah, I've heard of a lot of guys doing that.

14. Lol im struggling to figure out how its really a fretless with 21 or so holes in the neck ?

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    There isn't any frets in them holes.:smug:

16. He didn't say it was holeless, he said it was fretless. :D

Fill in those grooves and file down the nut. Give it a good setup and you'll be amazed.

H

17. steve66

steve66

Sep 17, 2005
    South Florida
    +1 just dont let the soldering iron sit on the fret to long

18. I used a clothes iron! Worked a charm too! :smug:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    When I read the thread title "OMG I pulled a Jaco" all I could think was "What, you woke up the neigbors by playing basketball in the schoolyard at 5:00 AM?"

20. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    Might help if they're glued. ;)

I tried this on mine, but realized it wasn't doing anything, so I just pulled the rest.

neckgrain.jpg
    shinyboard.jpg

A little jaggyness on the top couple frets. The rest came out really nicely.

You can do it nicer with hardwood, but I'm happy with it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021