OMG, I'm happy and sad at the same time.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumeni Notes, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    Well,

After just buying the red 5-string Bongo HH a couple of days ago from a fellow TB'er, I decided to see what basses where being sold on eBay. I happened to find a beautiful Roscoe 5-string bass that nobody had bid on yet. As the counter ticked down to 25 seconds, still nobody had made a bid. Then, I decided to put in the beginning amount of $2,000.00 (the buy it now price was $3,500.00).

So, I feel happy that I got a gorgeous bass so cheaply, but bad for the seller because he got the minimum he was asking. This economy still sucks for sellers.

Anyway, I have an email in to him stating that if he wants to try to resell it again, we can cancel the bid. If not, I will send him payment ASAP.

01.jpg

02.jpg

2. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    Dude, take it and run with it. He could have added a reserve if he wanted to. You won it fair and square.

3. Agreed, why not get yourself a decent deal?

Good on you for being a decent guy though.

But think of it this way. The auction you just won, you were the only bidder. What makes you think that any further auctions will have a different outcome?

Gobble it up man. And enjoy the sexy bass.

4. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    You sir are a class act.

That sure is a beautiful instrument so I hope you get it.

But more importantly, congrats on your newly acquired bongo! :p

5. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I agree with all of your comments. The seller is an eBay Power Seller with a rating of 16,238. So, he obviously knew about the reserve option. I personally think that he would have had more bids if he had the bidding start at either $0.00 or perhaps $500.00 with a reserve.

Also, he probably needs the money and $2,000.00 was the probably the lowest he was willing to accept. I have bought several basses on eBay and this is the first time I have come across a bass were the starting bid price was almost 1/2 the price of the "Buy It Now" price with no reserve.

Although I would love to have this bass, I promised myself to begin attending G.A.S. anonymous meetings. I love playing and collecting basses and simply could not pass up the opportuntity to get a beautiful Roscoe bass.

Anyway, I am waiting to see what he says and will keep you all updated on any exciting news.

Separately, I can't wait for my Bongo!! Ever since I saw Dave LaRue play one, I have also wanted to get one. I saw that burgundy one and wanted it!!

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    arent you the nicest ebayer ever!... i wish you had bought my American Deluxe Fretless Jazz that went for a few hundred less than it shouldve... it was my 1st good bass and i had kept it pristine for sentimental reasons... i let it go to get more fingerin and i regret who i sold it to. I was hoping it would go to someone who had some love for it. especially at the price....

had you won it i wouldve felt happy that it was in the hands of a good chap!

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Congrats if it all works out, beautiful bass. :cool:

I can guarantee it feels and sounds even better than it looks!

8. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Steal!

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree that you won the Roscoe fair and asquare, and have no obligation to allow the seller to start a new auction. What I wonder is did you spend more that you really wanted to when you bought the Roscoe, and is the seller kind of offering you an out? If so, take it. The road to GAS hell is paved with impulse buys.:bag:

10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If you really want the bass, why would you do that? It's an auction, and (like anything else) that bass is only worth what it will sell for. If you are in a supermarket and see that grapes are on sale for half price, would you insist on paying full price?

If it's a case of buyer's remorse and you really wish you hadn't bid on it, then that's a whole 'nother life lesson. :D

11. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    Well, in addition to playing the bass, I collect basses and do fairly well buying and selling them. Although I suffer from G.A.S., I am fortunate enough to have lots of discretionary income for my "disease" (I am single with no kids). I would classify this as buyer's surprise, not remorse. I have had my eye on a Roscoe bass and was very surprised when I put in the starting bid price and won it. I know that in a better economy, this bass would easily sell for at least $2,800.00.

Anyway, because I am trying to make an effort, granted a weak one, to ease up on my bass purchases, I am willing to make that offer. If he needs the money, then I will send the payment, play the bass and either keep it or sell it for a profit.

:meh:

12. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I do the same.I buy basses mess around with them and flip it for more, because i have extra cash and time.

13. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Eh, I think you're crying over spilled milk ;)

Seriously though, I've seen a lot of Roscoes go in the 2k range. I think he might have been considerably overpriced with the 3.5k buy it now price.

Congrats on the bass btw; I've never played a Roscoe but I'm sure I would enjoy their tone. Do any of them have 19mm at the bridge or are they all tight together?

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Standard string spacing is 18mm, can be expanded some, or contracted, via the adjustable Hipshot bridge.

They can be custom ordered with 19mm, or 20mm, and I'll assume 17mm.

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep. $3.5k was about what that bass would have sold for brand new. $2k is a good price, but the seller most definitely is not getting screwed here. I've been watching used Roscoes VERY closely for the past several months, and have also sold my share of them (4, to be exact), and that seems to be about the going price, + or - a couple hundred $$, for a mint used one.

As far as I know, as long as Hipshot makes a bridge with the spacing you are asking for, Roscoe will build a bass with that spacing. I currently have a 5 string being built by them with 20mm spacing at the bridge, so Darkstrike is 100% right. It's just a small upcharge to get the custom spacing that you would want.

In fact, Greg at Rocket Music has an SKB3005 in stock right now with 19mm spacing at the bridge.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021