1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OMG!! Little Mark LM-II or Carvin BX500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockiezz, Mar 28, 2009.

1. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    So here it is, I bought a Little Mark LM-II and I really like it, great sound although I have been a little bummed because of the LM-III coming out soon. I bought it at GC and have like 5-days to return. I have almost accepted the LM-II because of pricing, sound, weight... Now I find the Carvin BX500 and I'm like confused, Carvin has done the the updates that I'd like to have in the Little Mark, Mute, DI Volume, EQ out the *&$*%, Light Weight, Rack Mount,... Has anyone done a comparision of the two amps? used to own a Carvin LB75 a few years ago and it was the bomb when it was new. Just looking for feedback. Thanks in advance. :hyper:

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    BX500 LIGHTWEIGHT 500W BASS AMP HEAD

- RMS 8 Ohms: 300w, RMS 4 Ohms: 500w, RMS 2 Ohms: limited :eyebrow:
    - 8 ohms Dynamic Peak: 600w :)
    - 4 ohms Dynamic Peak: 1000w :)
    - Output Mode: High Efficiency CLASS D technology
    - Power Supply: High Efficiency High Frequency switching
    - Frequency Response: +/- 0.5 dB 20 Hz - 20 kHz, +/- 1.5 dB 10Hz - 40 kHz
    - THD: 0.1% @ 50% output
    - 1% 20-20 kHz @ 90% output
    - Damping Factor: >300
    - Preamps: Three CLASS A :)
    - Passive/Active Input: 10 dB gain switch - accommodates all basses
    - Preamp Tube: 12AX7 swtichable in/out :)
    - Bass/Treble: +-10 dB at 100 Hz and +-12 dB at 8k Hz
    - Contour control: Flat to -126 dB at 400 600 Hz :eek:
    - 1 Mid Parametric: +- 10 Db sweepable 100 to 800 Hz :)
    - 2 Mid Parametric: +- 10 Db sweepable 800 to 3k Hz :)
    - Graphic Equalizer: 9 band +- 10 Db @ 63, 120,250,500,1k,2k,4k,8k,16k :)
    - Compressor/Limiter: up to 30 dB – convenient one knob control
    - Direct Out: - 50 to +4 dBV adjustable, Balanced 600 ohms :)
    - Effects Loop: -10 dBV In/Out buffered at 10k to keep source constant
    - FS22 Footswitch: Graphic EQ on/off, Direct Out MUTE on/off :)
    - Soft Start: gradually turns the amp on to prevent surges :)
    - Speaker Protection: protection circuit immediately disconnects your speakers
    - Over-Current: protected, Under-Voltage protected, Thermal protected
    - AC Voltage Input: 100-250V 50-60 Hz :)
    - Rack Space: 2U adapter end-plates :)
    - Dimensions: 71mm (2.8") high, 230mm (9") deep, 356mm (14") wide
    - Net Weight: 2.7 kg (5.8 lbs) :hyper:
    - Made in San Diego, CA :)

3. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Not trying to be mean BUT what do you want? You like the MB but want V3 how do you know it is any better than V2 which you think is great but might not be the schnizz cos there is a new one!! Then the other head crosses your path and it could be that one.

You are confused so:
    Return the MB 2 immediately and get your money back
    Give the money to someone to hold so you will not be tempted to buy the next big thing
    Go try them all - yes, you might have to wait a while for MB3 but on the upside - there may be more other options coming out from other brands in the interim.
    Ignore the marketing blurb and try to get a side by side comp. Buy the one that sounds best, is the best deal etc.

DO NOT just blindly buy the latest thing............I have and regretted it many times!

Good luck

bmac314 likes this.
  4. I'd stick with the LMII or wait for the LM3... or .... wait til the LM3 comes out and get the LMII at clearance prices!

IMO the LMII will go down as a bit of a classic milestone amp similar to the GK800RB. It's likely I'll pick one up as a backup in a few years when they're in the bargain bins.

Just remember- a good amp is still a GOOD amp even when something snazzier comes along. I've gone through a sea of boutique and powerful amps and am now happily satisfied with an aging Mesa M-Pulse 360. Not as powerful as a 600, not as light as a Shuttle or LMII but it has the tone I crave and plenty of power for my needs.

The Carvin is not necessarily going to sound as good or similar even if it does have the extra features you want.

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    An important question to ask when choosing any amp:

Where could one get said amp repaired?

6. Get both. You can always sell one if you don't like it.

7. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Yea, I'd like to have both although I'm just now after 30 years of playing getting used to having more than one bass. I had the Eden Metro amp, would of been nice if you could convert it to a head only type of set-up but it is a open chassis. I got used to the tube pre and I think thats what I'm missing. Markbass is coming out with a full line of LittleMarks so I think I'll return and wait. Pull out the '87 GK-400RB head and turn it up.

8. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I've owned both the BX500 and LMII and think they are both great amps and I would be happy with either amp. Obviously the BX500 has some nice features that the LMII doesn't. Aside from the features, tone is probably the biggest deciding factor here. The LMII has a little thicker tone with more low-mid punch to it. The BX500 seems to be a little more crisp and has some more sparkle to it on the high end. The LMII can get a vintage tone a little easier than the BX500 and the BX500 is naturally a little more modern with a slight solid state dryness to it.

I was never 100% satisfied with the LMII for my playing style and I prefer my Carvin B1500 to the BX500. It's interesting that you have the 400RB as I have recently been bidding on a couple of the older ones for a practice/backup amp.

Sounds like you have a good plan...play the 400RB and wait for the new Markbass gear.

9. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
  10. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca

11. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Coudn't have said it better myself & I tried them back to back @ NAMM. As for the LM3 - it has improved 8ohm operation and an improved DI. If those things matter to you, than I would wait for it, but who knows when it will come out. Marco told me that they would be in GC by last month - so it will probably be a year. If you use an 8 ohm load and don't use a DI, they 2 and 3 sound exactly the same.

12. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    I'm gonna try The GK tonight, I had the 800RB and used it for years, That tone, and a workhorse of an amp. That was a fav of mine. Not sure what I'll do just yet though. GC was very nice about the return so I'd like to throw some biz that way, I don't know what happened there but they are kicking SA's ass. I like to run my "big" set-up at 4-ohm and want to be able to pull half out for the small gigs and run the 8-ohm, don't know if I'll ever make it down to 2-ohm but i like the idea of haveing it avaiaible. The DI is an impotant feature hands down, who doesn't use a PA?

13. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    between a LMII & the carvin, I'd go with the LMII.

It's a solid, GREAT SOUNDING (IMO) little amp that will do what ya need it to do.

I've gambled with Carvin heads in the past (bought an R1000), because I was stoked about all the zesty upgrades and what-not with the low price.

the verdict: the head sounds (IMO again) pretty bad. While it does have tons of zany features, none of them could really get me a good tone. I've gone to the closest Carvin shop and tried out some of the newer ones, and I didn't like them either.

I haven't tried the BX500 yet, so I can't really judge that one. If I were making the choice, I'd buy the one that I know sounds good: The Little Mark II.

14. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    Unfortunately Carvin lost a lot of credit with their Redline series amps. You would be hard pressed to find a good review of any of these Carvin amps. However, the Carvin BX and B series heads are a whole different breed of amps. So I wouldn't discount Carvin completely without trying their newer stuff. IMO

15. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    So last night I played the GK-400RB, did a fine job as always after I got rid of the crackle (do these need to warm up??, SS Right) I needed a bit more high end that the LMII brought out, or it may have been the fact that I had to use a DI for PA and Monitor send, simple DI no tone. The fact is that I can give MarkBass a little time to get the LMIII's over here before I pull the trigger.

16. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    4 year no questions asked replacement plan
    by the LMII get the 4 year replacement plan, wait until the LMIII comes out and throw your LMII down a flight of stairs.

17. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

What in the world would *that* involve?
    Did they have issues?

18. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Ah, the GENIUS! :cool: Unfortunately i don't think they would swap it out for a III... Besides, I think you may get thrown in jail for abusing a LMII in that fashion!