Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

omg look what i just bought

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by velvetkevorkian, Dec 18, 2004.

1. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    You bought that German Factory Bass???.... The last guy pulled out when I told him it was a fake..He didn't pay when I told him what it was so they re-listed it.. I even emailed the auction guy to tell him but he just wants his money.....

It is not English in any way...... NONE..

If the Label is a 'real' Forster Label.. Take it out and Frame it.. Maybe worth 100-200$ as a novelty.....

Maybe you can get a Strad label to replace it..lol... oops.. sry.. Still .. It's a German/Bohemian type Factory Bass less than half the Age of a Forster.. There are only a few Real Forster Basses in the World made by William II and they have all been counted... This, is NOT one of them......This Bass was made over 100 years after his death.. maybe a little less but several countries away... Sorry..

2. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Ask the ContraBass Shoppe or Gallery Strings in England.. They will tell you pretty much the same thing... Next time, ask before buying.... If it was a 18th-19th century English Bass.... It would go for 20-40K at the least.....$ or Pounds.. Fixed or not.....

The Best old English Basses sell for 80-140K, $ or so.... lesser makes from about 30K and up......

3. hmmm oh s**t. still, even if its not a real forster it could still be a decent bass? it must still be a 80-100 years old, and better than what i have at the moment.
    i must admit it did seem too good to be true, but it could still be ok...
    or maybe i'll just take the ebay negative feedback...
    thanks ken!

4. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I saw that auction too and I thought it was pretty dicey. Regardless of the pedigree, the top of that bass looks like it's had a lot of cracks and if this what the seller means by "needing some attention" you may spend big money before you have something playable. Plus, it may be because the bridge it in the wrong location or due to a funny camera angle, but the neck does not look like it is in allignment with the body. I'd take the negative feedback and steer clear.

- Steve

http://kaybass.home.att.net

5. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Yes, it is about 80 years old, give or take a few.... I am glad you are not too upset. Being that you are in the UK area, dealers would EASILY draw blood for one of the Real Forsters and probably even a little blood for Any real English Bass for that Price as you paid less than 1/10th the Price of the going rate of an English Double Bass.

On the other hand, you paid about $3,400.oo USD in equivelant. That is not a bad price for an early 20th century German Bass. In fact, the Morelli on my Double Bass page is from the same period and I paid more than that for it in trade when I sold the Italian Solo Bass. I will spent 8-10k/$ on restoring it and making it into an Orchestral workhorse, fully re-graduated and re-built. At that point, I will have a Handmade German-American Bass built on the Italian Method (tone tapped graduation) 're-made' with the original 80-100 year old wood.....

Even though my Bass has a Morelli label, I always tell people the truth. It is a 'made-up' Italian name for the import business in the USA but made in German Shops. There are several qualities to be expected from a German shop Bass and it is sometimes hit or miss. In the Case of Import-Export the buyer/dealer can specify the grade of wood even if they are 'machine carved'.

Yes, mine was evident of machine carving as well as hand scraping but the thicknesses were all over tha place. Luckly, they left plenty of wood for 'correcters' of the future..... If it was too thin in areas, then it's too late.

Your Bass, if healthy and made with good wood can be a great working Bass..... Like I said, if the Label is a Real Forster label, have it removed when you restore the Bass and 'Frame' it...

I have a Samuel Gilkes Bass. Gilkes ran the Forster Shop for a period from the early 1800s up until 1819 when Forster III went bankrupt from his other business.... Grocerys....Bad investment from what the books say. Many of the Forster Basses and Cellos were also made by Gilkes.. Basses by William III and not II.

Good luck and enjoy your new Bass.....

6. What the hay....ya got a real carved bass. Congratulations!
    As Steve says, the bridge is way high. You may be real surprised when you get eveything adjusted and new strings. Let us know!

7. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Paul, Steve, Velvet-

It looks to me like there is major top sinkage. That is one reason the bridge looks out of alignment. Plus there appears to be no tension on the strings as you look at the windings in the pegbox. The wing on the left f-hole is way above the table. (at least it appears to be)

It may turn out to be a good sounding instrument, but take it to a luthier as soon as you get it. DO NOT put any tension on the top, ie. tune it up- until you do. It may need a sound post patch.

Good luck with it!
    Brian

8. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Hey.. your'e Scaring this guy... The Bass is not that Bad.. My point was it is NOT an English Bass in any way, shape or form.. That's it...

The Top does NOT look sunk-in
    The Strings do look tight as the pegbox only shows the excess string not on the post.
    The FF holes look fine.. It's the angle of the photo.. The Bass does NOT need a sound post patch unless it is Cracked over the soundpost area on the Top or Back....

The Bridge IS in the wrong place, Warped and too Low to be used if it was straight even If it was placed in the proper place. So you will need a Bridge and other fittings anyway..I have the same Tuner Plates on my Morelli.. Cool.....

I bet the Bridge was moved up because this IS a long Bass. Like 43-44" SL like those German Basses were after 1920-1940 just like my Morelli is. No Problem... It can be used as is or do a Block-cut..

Arnold can explain.. He just did mine..... He's a Genius when it comes to the Sherlock Holmes repair stuff....

Get it re-stored, play it and enjoy the music...

Now...... for all the advice I have Given you for FREE..... Send me the Label "Framed" for Christmas....... thx.. much appreciated..(fingers crossed).....

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    The ContraBass Shoppe has a similar bass fully restored but MAYBE? not as old...not sure about yours.. Check it out; http://www.contrabass.co.uk/2624.htm

Also the Price is L6,500. with L1,762 in repairs done to it..

Read:
    Have you done anything to the instrument at all?

Yes we've undertaken a full set up using a top quality fingerboard and an Aubert bridge fitted with our incredibly smooth brass adjusters. There is also a new sound post and quality brass end-pin unit, a new top nut and a new bottom saddle. In addition we felt that the sound and tone of the instrument could be improved considerably by making some internal adjustments. Courtesy of M.J. Bailey Luthier Ltd the neck has been reset to the correct angle, the table has been regraduated and a new bass bar has been fitted.

This is all in the post on their "offer" but shown here to You and All about the Re-graduating, neck set, etc. done so often on these types of Basses.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

11. I think after giving you ALL of our .02c worth, the last piece of info from me would be....after all this work is done be patient with the bass. Even if you get lucky in terms of any real major repairs this bass will sound new.
    As you more than likely know it might take months of plenty hard playing, alot of it with the bow, to bring it back to life.
    Don't get disappointed too soon!
    And one more time Good luck and DO keep us caught up on the progress. This one will make a nice before and after picture diary.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Hey, you got a bass ! Congratulations and play the hell out of it.