Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by METALHEAD, Aug 22, 2005.

1. I walk in to a music shop and for the first time ever saw they had a fretless bass. so as you do i sat there and had ago. HOLY BATDROPPINGS. ive never played a fretless and it was brill. is there any recomendations for cheap fretless 4s out there this one was a stag and cost £160 (not sure what that equals in $) thats about the range i want to pay but im thinking stag not got the best name out there.
  2. Actually I tried the Stagg fretless and it was kinda sweet, nice growl.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you like the tone and feel, ignore the name on the headstock.

Basses in that price range are very hit or miss, if you find one you like, take it and run with it, don't buy another without playing, you'll likely not be as happy with it.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If it keeps you Rockin go for it ! :bassist:
  5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have a really nice Stagg SR4 copy that I use from time to time. For the money they're great if you find a good one. Get thee back to the shop if you like that one you played, quick!
  6. I went round this loop myself back in January, and ended up putting more cash on the table for a s/h Warwick Corvette. Anyway, the ones on my original shortlist were the Stagg, the Yamaha RBX270, the Vintage V940, and the Tanglewood Rebel.

I went off the Tanglewood when I discoverd that 'natural honey coloured' meant banana yellow. The Stagg had rough edges on the frets and the nut. On the Vintage, between the fretboard and the neck pickup, there is a visible section of neck wood, stained brown to 'match' the bubinga. The bad match put me off on the two that I tried. The Yamaha was the best built, but the fretless version is not available in a natural wood finish, which I wanted.

I tried the Yamaha against the Stagg in one shop, and the Yamaha against the Vintage in another. The head and cab were different in each shop.

The Stagg sounded good, but I felt that the Yamaha was better.
    The Vintage sounded better, as it should with a bubinga body, but the Yamaha was almost as good.

By good or better, I mean the amount of growly fretless sound that they can make. As always, YMMV.

Happy hunting.