OMG! Moogerfooger Newbie! I am in love.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 15, 2017.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am an old cat (47) and have been playing for about 32 years. I have dabbled at best with effects over my time as a bass player. So recently I have decided to try my hand once again. I have become very satisfied and rather stable with my bass and amp situation. I have been a fan of envelope filters as my favorite kind of bass effect as I am prone to the funk. I have tried filters before but never with much success mainly because I have not been patient enough to work with them.

Well this time I went all in and got a new Moogerfooger because I have always loved Travis Carlton's use of the pedal. I got it plugged it in and I couldn't get anything out of it... I was about to get impatient and put it back in the box and sell it on TB. Then I did a curious thing, for me, I read the manual. Once I found the sound I was looking for... I did not stop playing for the better part of two hours. The pedal inspired me with ideas and sounds that led to changes in my playing that were instant. I can see this becoming a very dangerous pedal in that I like it too much, but used in moderation, I really think this sucker could actually positively influence my playing. If you had asked me prior to that if I thought it was possible for an effects pedal to bring out things in your playing that were previously not there I would have absolutely disregarded such a comment. Guess you can teach and old dog new "tricks".

2. So which one is it? The MF-101 Lowpass Filter?

I have the MF-103 phaser and love it. I wish I had one or two more 'foogers. The delay is amazing (and expensive) and the MURFs are fun. I also happen to like the sound of a ring modulator on bass, so I might eventually grab the MF-102 as well.

aprod, alecduncan and armybass like this.
  3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Welcome to the cult! The MF-101 is the MF I turn on the least, but it is wonderful. The beauty of the ring mod is that it will actually behave like the lushest tremelo you've ever heard. I love the phaser and Bass MuRF too. The Cluster Flux is worth every penny, but the delay, while one of the best ever, is just disgustingly overpriced at this point.

gregmon79 and armybass like this.
  4. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Oh lawd..... there are more than just the MF101. I am in trouble. Yes I got the 101. I have wanted it for a long time but it took a while for me to work up the courage to drop that kinda coin on one pedal. We worth it.

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    Moogerfoogers are life.

6. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    This has long been my go-to response whenever I get questioned for having an elaborate pedalboard setup. There is absolutely no question that effects have had a massive impact on my creativity.

gregmon79 and armybass like this.
  7. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I never would have taken that response seriously to be honest. Just goes to show how important an open mind can be to us old cats as well as the younger players.

I started watching YouTube videos of bass pedal boards and heard some amazing things from something as simple as a compressor which I always thought was just hype. Well, I purchased my compressor this morning. Thanks for the warm welcome and the responses folks.

mrwood4, back4more, gregmon79 and 2 others like this.
  8. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Welcome to the club! I have been gassing for Moogerfoogers on and off since I heard the first Big Briar MF demos in the late 90s. Right now I have the MF-102 and MF-104m but rarely use them for bass. Mostly just with the Minitaur for messing around.

superdick2112 and armybass like this.
  9. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NYC
    Awesome!! My MF-101 is never leaving me, I love everything about it except for the bypass. I have a little bypass looper just for it and any other big moogerfoogers I add to the setup (I really, really want a MF-102 Ring Mod and MF-103 12-Stage Phaser)

Try an octaver into the MF-101 if you haven't already - sounds massive! I also use my Source Audio Reflex Expression pedal to control the cutoff frequency and get some of the most massive, subby synth swells ever.

superdick2112 likes this.
  10. Playing through a dynamic filter can bring out nuances of expression in your playing that other wise might go unnoticed. Moogerfoogers are a drug I cannot afford.

armybass likes this.
  11. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I love 'em! (obligatory check out the thing I bought post)

moogbjord.jpg

12. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Welcome.

The addiction is strong, mostly due to the inter-networks of CV that these pedals are capable of. I love all the foogers for various reasons, but the filter is still my overall fav, with the delay a close second. Musical and wild!!

13. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    I also ended up buying some of those things.

t4ekBpU.png

They go well with the rest of my things.

ehX7HSI.png

bgmww, mrwood4, Indiedog and 14 others like this.
  14. bassbassbass12345

bassbassbass12345 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Moogerfoogers are life indeed. I’ve slowly amassed all of them except for the delay and mp-201. I could spend weeks just sitting around messing with them.

Anyone have any luck getting a downsweep out of the 101 using the cp-251? The way I’ve interpreted everything I’ve read on the subject is that you need to send the envelope to one of the attentuators and sweep it to the negative range, and send that back to the cutoff on the 101. I’ve tried that with no luck, I assume I’m doing it wrong or is it impossible to get a downsweep outta that thing?

15. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    I have not tried that, but I should.

16. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I think our buddy Armybass is in need of an intervention.

wmmj and armybass like this.
  17. bassbassbass12345

bassbassbass12345 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Let me know if you get it to work! I also tried sending the envelope to the mixer to adjust the offset, didn’t work like I wanted to but let you adjust the envelope in a different way

nshuman likes this.
  18. What are you using as envelope? The lag output from the 251?

19. pbass2

pbass2 Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I had a 101 and sold it years ago. I'm a dummy....
    But I hear ya, at first, I wasn't getting what I expected/wanted out of it, but eventually, man, it is sooo great on bass. It's ALSO great to try on just about anything! I used it on guitar, a wurly electric piano, a few different synths and keys. It's just a great analog filter, hands down one of the best you can get in a pedal!

20. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    On pedals? Maybe.... on Moogerfoogers, not likely. I have one. And at their prices that’ll be it for me for some time.

Relsom likes this.