1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OMG NOCD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wicked G, Apr 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    So I was scanning through eBay and found an as new Genz Benz Uber Quad 1288t listed with a starting bid of $400 with local pickup only.

Crap I thought until I saw it was at a pawn shop 33 miles away from my house. I was not able to go all week due to work and other things so the bidding ended yesterday with no one bidding on it .

I finally went today to check it out and found it plus an Uber 115t in new condition. After checking them both out and acting not all that interested the pawn shop owner started telling me that he has had them for months and no one has even looked at them.

So I offered him $250 out the door for each cab expecting him to haggle, but instead he said ok. :eek:

So of course I am now the proud owner of both the Genz Benz Uber Quad 1288t and Uber 115t for $250 each :hyper:

Of course pics or no cabs so:
    IMAG0361. IMAG0362. IMAG0365. 15249683186051499575842.
    Needless to say, me so hoppy right now. :smug:

And looking at the pictures I just noticed that I didn't put the grill back on right on the Quad. Oops.

2. I think you did OK .drool

jnewmark, BrentSimons and Wicked G like this.
  3. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Thank you. I'm normally jealous when I hear of others getting deals like this so I am pretty stoked right now.

I'm glad I didn't bid on it this week even though I would have gladly paid $400 for them, $250 sounds much better. :)

EatS1stBassist and wave rider like this.
  4. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Score!

Wicked G likes this.
  5. Those cabs are so so good. Particularly the 15 IMO.

Well played sir!

Wicked G likes this.
  6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Awesome! You got a great deal and I don't have to see the listing with "LOCAL PICKUP ONLY" any more. Win, Win IMHO :thumbsup:. For some sick reason I want four Uber Quads...but I have none. Injoy!

MattZilla and Wicked G like this.
  7. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Oh so you saw the listing also lol? I'm glad I was of some service to you lol.

After playing and A/Bing them yesterday I can say they are very comparable volume wise with the Quad being a bit more tight, focused and immediate and the 115t coming in very close.

After owning and playing various 15's before by Ampeg, Crate, Carvin and Hartke the Uber sounds more even, focused and immediate than the others. A very nice 115, although the Quad is even more so.

I also did an A/B between the Quad and the GK NEO 112 and that only lasted 2 minutes. It was not a fair fight. With the Quad having more cone area it just had more volume and fullness. 2 GK NEO 112's would have been more fair.

Also have to add that while the NEO PAK 3.5 sounds good, the Magellan 800 sounds incredible with this stack. Those cabs really seem to like power.

I know these are old cabs and everything I have said may be old news to some, but I am pretty happy right now.:hyper::bassist:

Edited to add another picture. Sorry, I couldn't resist:
    IMAG0343.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  8. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Warning, long post with pics coming:

So last night I took the QUAD 1288t and UBER 115t to my gig and used a Genz Benz NEO PAK 3.5 and was surprised to find that I only had the Master Volume at 9:00 with the Tube Preamp Gain and Volume both set at 12:00 and EQ at 12:00. I normally need to run it much higher when I use my 410's, but I don't remember how I set the Master when using my 412's.

Anyway with the 410's I have had the amps clip limit red light flash. Not so last night and really don't see that happening with these cabs nor with 2 TC K212 cabs, but I will only be using the UBER's from now on with it. They sounded great and I like how the cabs match up aesthetically with that amp.

In either case I was pretty impressed. The sound was very tight and focused while still remaining warm and full. I really like the NEO PAK and am also still very excited with the UBER cabs. Pics from last nights gig:
    IMAG0369. 7107.

So with that being said I got to thinking that I have no show today and the wife is at work, why not do a mini shootout with some of my cabs? So I grabbed my EBS Reidmar 750 and TC Electronic BH800, don't ask me why IDK, and pulled out these cabs into my living room with a Sterling Ray 34:
    IMAG0372.
    I surprisingly found that with the Master volume on the Reidmar set at 9:00, both UBER cabs and the K212 could keep up with the GK no problem. And I should state that the TC and the UBER's are 8 ohms while the GK NEO 410 is 4 ohms. As I began to increase the volume substantially the GK began to pull away, but not by a huge margin. Again surprising as it is 4 ohms and getting the amps full power.

While I expected the TC to hang in there for a bit since it is 212's and 8 ohms, the QUAD and the 115t separately really impressed me. They both were able to get really loud and still remain very tight and focused. The clarity is really amazing on these cabs. They never seemed to sound strained or compressed, they just both kept going.

Both the TC and the GK sounded scooped next to the UBER's with the GK even more so, as expected, but I could still hear some mids coming out the GK while still remaining very articulate. The TC sounded more even than the GK, but neither could replicate the mids that both the QUAD and the 115t are able to produce. And I am not talking harsh mids either, these cabs are very musical sounding.

As much as I like the QUAD solo, which is a lot, that 115t is really beginning to stand out to me. There is something in the voicing of that cab that is really addictive. I have never heard a 115 cab sound as tight, articulate, have the same amount of mids and low end at the same time, and also punch like this one. Actually I have never had a 115 punch or sound as immediate as this one. I guess I am really digging the 115t because I expected all of that from the QUAD, not the 115t.

I still had some time and was having some fun, I know I'm weird, so I decided to get some more cabs:
    IMAG0373.
    The only one I didn't bring down was the other TC K212 as I didn't really need it for what I was doing. I already knew 2 K212's would put our more volume than the other cabs and had the best sound according to my ears until now. Separately each UBER cab has the capability to put out enough volume to use alone on a gig and together they are just overkill, but I like overkill.

Although I can't test for absolute volume because it is just too much and I like my ears, I would say that it seems as if both UBER's together would put out the most volume followed by both K212's, and not sure between both RS210's or the GK NEO 410 as they can both get very loud. Although I do find that the TC RS210's together have a more even yet somewhat vintage sound next to the GK NEO 410's very modern huge low end and crystal clear snap with growl sound. I'm thinking that the NEO 410 may be a little louder due to the cab dimensions as well with the GK NEO 112, of course, coming in last.

However I can picture 2 NEO 112 cabs getting loud enough for me as the mids on that cab can really cut through and add some volume. When I use it on top of the NEO 410 in a 2.67 ohm load I have no problem hearing it and it truly does add quite a bit of volume on top of that cab.

I think I better end this post now as it is getting ridiculously long and most of you probably won't even read everything and just glance through the pictures. So I'll end this by saying that even though I have only had them for a week, the Genz Benz UBER cabs are my current favorites. What they can accomplish alone and together is just amazing.

I need to go to bed now, it's late.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    S-Bigbottom and EatS1stBassist like this.
  9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    Nice score. I would have had to buy them too if I was you.

Wicked G likes this.
  10. Always great to have options! Sounds like those 2 cabs are perfect additions to round out your arsenal. :)

Wicked G likes this.
  11. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Screamin deal dude! Good job

Wicked G likes this.
  12. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Thank you. Yeah there was no way I was going to pass them up. I still can't believe I only paid $250 for each. I actually had been wanting 2 QUADS for a very long time, but every time I saw one they were going for over $600 each with no shipping. :( Then again shipping would probably have been pretty expensive on these.

I'm still really impressed with how loud these cabs can go while remaining very tight and focused. I may still get 1 more GK NEO 112 to go along with my other one for the easy schlep and the biamping on the 700rb II for the gigs where I may not want to take the NEO 410, but the UBER's are easily my favorites right now.

13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Got my first Uber Quad on the way. $470 shipped...not bad, especially considering how infrequent these cabs come up on the used market these days. Seems the Uber 115Ts are available almost all the time.

Wicked G likes this.
  14. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Nice! Not bad at all. Your right, I don't see the UBER QUADs come up much, probably because they kick @$$.

Much louder than you would expect. Actually as loud or louder than many older 410's. And I'm finding that although I wanted the QUAD and never thought much of the 115t, I'm really liking the 115t more.
    That cab is a mega beast for real.

But anyway I think you are truly going to be impressed with the QUAD. I still would like 2 of them due to how loud, tight and focused they would be.

Right now both UBER cabs are my favorites. Enjoy.

Wasnex and agedhorse like this.
  15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Well I took your advice and got another one on the way :greedy:. I hope I like them :nailbiting:.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    Wicked G likes this.
  16. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Wow! Congrats. Of course we all hear things differently, but I think you will like them. The QUAD is very tight, focused and pretty immediate sounding to my ears. It also puts out a good amount of low end and can handle a lot of power.

So far I have tried it out with a Genz Benz NEO PAK 3.5, a Genzler Magellan 800, a TC Electronic BH800 and an EBS Reidmar 750 and they all sound very good with those cabs. I'm actually going to gig the Reidmar 750 tomorrow with both cabs.

Let us know what you think about them when you get them. :thumbsup:

17. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I love tight, focused, and immediate. Other reviewers have described the mids as vocal-like, which is (IMHO) a rare and desirable quality in a bass cabinet. Only time will tell if I like them well enough to go through with buying 4.

My intent with four is not to be super loud, more to create a sense of effortless power and get the mids up to ear level when I am standing close to the array. As four stacked will be 92 inches, I don't think that will be a problem.

Wicked G likes this.
  18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The Uber-Quad 1288's mids are quite forward and clean, really articulate. Some players are afraid of them because they show so much detail that they can't play sloppy and get away with it. If you have good technique, it's really, really revealing and you will stand out.

Wasnex and Wicked G like this.
  19. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Perfect...the only problem I anticipate is the ceiling in my house will not accommodate a 92 inch stack :roflmao:.

S-Bigbottom and agedhorse like this.
  20. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    To be honest with you, 4 QUADS are way past the point of overkill. 1 QUAD alone is already louder than some older model 410's and newer 212's. I didn't expect that, but that is what I have found in comparing it with my current cabs and remembering some of my older cabs.

For an example, when running my NEO PAK 3.5 into my 4 ohm GK NEO 410 I have had to run the master volume up around 11 to 12:00 just to keep up with my band. On my last gig using that head with both UBER cabs I ran the same EQ, Gain and Volume with the Master at 9:00 and it was loud. Keeping up with the band was not an issue at all and I still had quite a bit of Mater Volume knob rotation available.

Now I know that was 2 cabs compared to just 1, but that GK NEO 410 is known to be very loud and it also goes to show that running the 2 UBER cabs with that head was already more than enough in my hard rock/heavy metal gig. 4 would have been ridiculous. And that is not even including a larger more powerful amp. But if you want ridiculous volume and your amp can handle a 2 ohm load, then by all means have at it. :bassist:

agedhorse likes this.