OMG, Oasis TRYING to cover The Who - My Generation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 7, 2005.

1. I've never seen anyone butcher a song so badly. The singer was out of key and not even tuneful, and as for the bass break, the bassist just kinda strummed the string with a wall of fuzz. I couldn't define anything from it. Absolutely terrible. Oasis are one of the worst bands I have ever seen.......and that includes all the school bands I've seen. :spit:
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Was it live or is it a recording that we can listen to somewhere?

Oasis are ok, but they repeat themself too often, imo.
  3. Nick, they did this cover YEARS ago...

its definatly nothing special, and the bass break is the same as when everyone covers it really.
  4. This was live on Jonathan Ross's chat show. The bass break was NOT the same. I was like 'oooo I wonder if he'll do the entire thing', but I was bitterly dissappointed.
  5. alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Yeh, i've never understood how Oasis got so popular. IMO Liam's voice always sounds like someone swinging a sack full of angry, tone deaf wasps round their head. :p
  6. :D :D :D
  7. Andy Cleaver

Andy Cleaver A show of hands....

Dec 16, 2004
    England, Midlands
    I never got caught up in the Oasis thing really. I can't stand Liam's voice, or him for that matter. I saw a live video of this cover a few years ago and it sounded terrible! :smug:
  8. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    I happen to be a big Oasis fan. Granted, Liam is not the best front man in the world, but if you listen to the songs, and not just him, IMO they are very good.

Nick, there are a few million people who would disagree with you about being a dreadful band. This being should every time Oasis go on tour, and sell out Wembly, Birmingham, and Manchester in less then a day.

They really did save British rock and roll in the 90's, but seem to have gone downhill from there. The My Generation cover, i must admit is dreadful, but songs like Slide Away, Rock and Roll Star, Supersonic, Morning Glory and Hello just make me forget the dreadful cover.

9. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Oasis are a substandard band. They may be good in England, but to any American standard, mediocrity doesn't cut it. The first Album was good ol' rock and roll, they think too highly of there abilities.
  10. Yep, they take themselves VERY seriously indeed. Hilarious really. :D :D

It would have been a lot more honest of them if they had continued as a Beatles tribute band. At least they wouldn't have been pretending to be "original". :meh: :meh:

All IMHO, needless to say and, hey what do I know? The argument that they must be good because so many people like them is, I think, a very dangerous one though. It's only a short step from there to "Eat ****. 50 million flies can't be wrong." :D :D
  11. not to be anti-america, but err...isn't this kind of unnice to americans, I mean, america had some great bands, but...not all of them, Blink 182 seems to be really popular(kuddos to them for having a good simple idea that really works) while not really being what you'd call a GOOD band(no offense), this is not to say all america bands suck, but it's the same everywhere, and america's bands are neither better nor worse.

and don't forget the british invasion a while ago(the who, beatles, stones)

and on the topic of oasis, I think they've got some nice songs, especcially on their earlier albums, and yes they take themselves seriously, that's their image(albeeit a queer one)
  12. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    I never realised British and American standards of music were different :eyebrow:
  13. alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    **reaches for 'Usher' CD**
  14. Aaaaah, I see ! That's probably the reason 50 Cent has three singles in the American top ten right now ... :rolleyes:
  15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    +1, I don't think being english or american has something to do with it, crap bands are a universal phenomenon
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Excellent point, and a good place to get the conversation back on track.

Oasis doing "My Generation"?

I hope they die before they get old. :D

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Are they still the best rock and roll band in the world? ;) :D
  18. I hope they die before they get ANY older. :D :D :D
  19. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    I must admit, like in my earlier post, they have gone downhill since the days of Definatley Maybe, and Whats the Story Morning Glory, but those songs still sound fresh today and are good British rock and roll.

20. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    haha , too late.

i think it's fair to say this thread is an insult to Entwhistle's tone.