Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OMG!!! Peavey Cirrus!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vlad335, Oct 16, 2003.

1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    First let me say I read many posts praising the Cirrus bass here but didnt think much about it. Today, I went into a new music store that just opened up in the area and saw a claro walnut 5 string Cirrus hanging on the wall and thought what the hell, give it a try.

I should have never went in there! This was simply the best bass I ever played! The action, the feel, the incredibly huge sound. The electronics were dead quiet and very versatile. It reminded me of a $7000 Alembic I once tried out. It was so effortless to play.

After awhile the wife came in and saw that look in my eyes. :eek: (I only went in to buy a patch cord.)

Anyway...I talked to the sales guy about ordering a new 4 stringer and he quoted my a price of $1119.00
    Is this a good deal?

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you go used you may be able to pic one up in great condition for a little more than half of that. Somewhere in the $700 range or so. Watch Ebay. Their pretty common there. I agree there great basses. Now if only I can find an affordable 6-string:D .Here's one Here's another Here's the last one ;)

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Give in and buy one. I didn't when I was looking and I regret it now...:bawl:

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Heehee... I know the feeling. First time I picked one up, my eyes practically turned to hypnotized cartoon spirals and my voice dropped to a monotone: Must... have... this... bass.

$1119 is not a bad deal at all for a new one. I paid a little more than that for my Cirrus four.

Welcome to the club... in advance!

:D

5. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    here's one that was at winter NAMM - yummy!

[​IMG]

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

$1119 is a good price for a new Cirrus 4. But if you go used, you can save a lot of $$$.

I had the same experience when I played my first Cirrus. I have owned a few Peaveys, and had a generally higher opinion of their basses than a lot of other people, but after buying a Pedulla I thought that I would never look at another Peavey.

Well, one day when I was in a local dealer that had 5 Cirri in stock, I decided that I would see what all of the fuss was about.

Man! I fell in love. It was another year before I bought one, but I knew that one was in my future. When I finally broke down and bought my tigereye 6, the Pedulla's days were numbered. The Cirrus was so much easier to play, and sounded so much better, that I quit playing the Pedulla. Wound up selling it about 6 months later.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What year? 2003?

My tigereye 6 was at the 2002 winter NAMM.

8. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    That tiger eye pic is from January 2003.

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    There was one for sale for $699 here in Classifieds.
    Check it out. Good luck.

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    If the cirrus had wider spacing on a 5 or 6, I would strictly be a cirrus player, and my bass searching would be much easier. Other than the spacing (which is a personal preference) they are one of the best feeling basses out there.

And to think, they also made the T-40. Giant steps....

11. I'm loving my cirrus 5-string. great basses. I agree with buying one used I think that is the best way to go. I was able to get mine for $750.

12. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Man I still havent gotten over my initial shock. This is a Peavey for Gods sake!

I quit playing for most of the 90's and my opinion about Peavey gear is that it was "Budget." Mind you, reliable stuff but certainly not high-end in any sense of the word. While I was out of the mix Peavey certainly took a couple giant leaps forward.

Off topic: A side note, my personal take on a previous Peavey experience. (This memory just came back to me so...)
    We had a couple CS-800 poweramps racked in our guitar players basement where we rehearsed. The basement got flooded, like one foot of water. The bottom CS-800 was completely submerged while plugged into the wall. Toast right?

Wrong!

We took the cover off, let it sit for a couple days and blew out the water with an air compressor. worked perfectly for a couple years and as I know still works today.

OK. THis memory just serves to make me want this bass even more. Man I am gassin bad!
    THanks, I think I will look at the used market. Got to come up with some cash though...

13. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Buy the Cirrus you won't regret it. Save yourself some money buy it used. :cool:

14. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    the peavey is an awesome deal. i was originally going to purchase a four string bass, and my main music store had a used cirrus 5er for $999. i gave it a shot, and could not believe how easy it was to play, the neck was so thin and smooth and i just loved the sound. i went from a $500 soundgear 405 to the cirrus and i cannot imagine playing something less than this now. I looked into warwicks, i think mainly because most bands i listen to have warwick basses, but i would only have been able to afford an entry level one. the cirrus was in immaculate condition, the owner only traded it b/c he was moving up to a custom conklin. go for the cirrus. Also for you cirrus owners, what kind of wood is mine, i am not quite sure. i have enclosed a pic. The pic is someone else's cirrus, i cannot find my digital camera, but its the same as mine.
    thanks-
    =smitcat=

15. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    apparently, my picture did not post, so i will try again.
    =smitcat=

16. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

That, my friend, looks like a bubinga top with walnut body.

17. Lulu

Lulu Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Belgium
    Mine fabulous Cirrus LIVE in Belgium! i'm still in love since my purchase (2001)

18. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    thanks schwinn, i thought it was bubinga, but i thought bubinga had wavier lines than that. anyways, the guy that owned mine replaced the tuner knobs with these, i love the way they look!

19. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    and here is a pic of the whole thing

20. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    What happened to the "sound library" idea? Man. You all give me that GAS but I have no idea about the sounds only the subjective thoughts...