1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Omni 10.5, Omni 12 and Omni 15 sound clips/you tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by david_l_perry, Sep 8, 2008.

1. I met up with another couple of Bill Fitz cab builders / users to try out these BFM cabs. Unfortunately one of the guys who bought my Omni 10 off me could not make it down, which is a shame as it would have been the whole omni shebang.

Omni 12 on the left, with my Omni15 on the right
    PICT1124.

Omni 15 and Omni 10.5 sat on a Titan 39 (narrow body)
    PICT1125.

The main reason for the meeting was to try out things with the Omni12 as it has never had much bass output from it. He had fortunately sorted out his problem (loose driver and couple of gaps to the chamber that needed sealing) and the cab is now a different beast altogether. It sounded great.

These sound clips will be best heard with headphones rather than your PC speakers for obvious reasons.

None of this was scientific, and is purely as a guide to the sound differences of the three cabs.

The Omni 10.5 sounds amazing for such a small and cheap package. This 10.5 was only loaded with the cheap eminence Beta 10" driver (£35).

The Omni 15 has (as expected) more btm end than the Omni 12 but the 12 still kicked it out.

All of the soundbites are recoreded with my Mark Bass LMK and Status bass.

Soundbites that I recorded on the Zoom H2 at the venue:-

Omni12

Omni15

Omni 10.5

You tube vids of the same but recorded with the camera mic
    The Omni 12

Omni 15

Omni 10.5

Hope this is of some benefit to somebody.

Dave

2. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    i've never seen cabs like these, what's the deal with them. they sound pretty good!

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    So your O15 is a tallboy version?
    All three sound killer. I'd love to hear your O10 in comparison, I'd wager it's got more low end booty than the O10.5

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Judging from that recording, I think the Omni 15 is the clear winner. I thought the 10.5 sounded a little light and the 12 had what I perceived to be a scoop (could have been room acoustics, could have been the Status...not saying it came from the cab). But the 15" had everything going on. That's a badass sounding cab. I'd love to hear it with the horns off.

5. keep in mind that the 10.5 only has a single 10" driver. For the size and cost of the cab, its got an amazing output.

Dave

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I've just finished an omni15 tallboy without the tweeter.

The mid driver voices the cab a bit higher than I like, but I can roll off the mids at the amp.

Mine's got the Eminence 3015LF and the Alpha 8MRA mid driver. You can choose from several woofers but the mid has only the one choice.

[​IMG]
    I installed a tilt handle, recessed casters, full jackplate. Finished with Duratex. (Pay no attention to the dull black caulking around the handle; that's taken care of.)

[​IMG]
    Pictured next to an Eden D112XLT.

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    That looks huge. How difficult was it to build the O15 Tallboy? The TB seems like it would be easier to load in a car.

8. Rick Auricchio

20w x 17d x 39h. I haven't yet weighed it, but my estimate is about 75 pounds. A few pounds are from the 3" recessed casters themselves.

There's lots of info in the forums at the billfitzmaurice.com web site.

I have a woodworker friend with a great shop, so we worked in 3-hour sessions. We didn' t hurry, and there were plenty of stops to ponder how we'd get something done. Construction wasn't difficult, and I was going for a full professional appearance.

Though you can easily assemble the cab with brads or screws, we did a lot with large clamps. Planning the clamping took some thought. (The adhesive holds the cab; the fasteners or clamps just keep it together till the glue dries.)

9. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Thanks for those clips. Obviously, the acoustics of that church room are colouring the sound quite a bit. Those cabs sound really clean. Very cool.

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have purchased a few of the BFM plans but haven't built them yet. The O15TB looks really good. :)

11. I thought the 10.5 outclassed the whole bunch. There's just a presence about it that the other cabs didn't have.

So the Omni's are the suggested bass guitar cab's? I purchased plans for the DR250's and Tuba 24 many moons ago but haven't built them yet. After seeing your videos I'm going to check those out.

Thanks for sharing!

- Andrew

ps. Nice playing!

12. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Rick (or anyone else familiar with the Omin 15 TB)

Is there room inside for the mid be relocated to the center, or to the left side, so it looks better (imho)? I've been toying with the idea of building an Omni but aesthetics is getting in the way....

Nightbass

13. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    You could always just install a full front grill..

14. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm in the process of building an O15TB myself. Unfortunately, no there isn't room to move the mid to the center. Bill has that design optimized pretty well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some think it looks cool. I'm on the fence, so I've increased the depth by an inch so the baffle is recessed. I'm going to make a grill frame and install a full grill. Been toying with using the same blueish grillcloth used on the original Ampeg 8x10 cabs. It should look like a mini-SVT. :bassist:

15. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    who cares about looks??? my omni10 is nasty but sound like 20 million bucks. and i made it myself.

16. Rick Auricchio

The mid is the upper horn you see at the left when facing my cabinet. It gets moved up when there's no tweeter, for better dispersion. Normally, the mid is lower in the panel, because the tweeter is up top.

The attached picture is what a standard omni15 tallboy looks like. I have also recessed the front panel 1/2" like the builder did here. (We increased the depth of the cab by 1/2" so that the interior volume remained unchanged.) I may install an expanded-metal grille; I can get polished stainless here in town.

[​IMG]

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Wish I'd have taken woodshop instead of band in middle school. Much more useful skill. Beauty work, guys. Must be really cool to be able to build Bill's cabs.

18. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I am no woodworker, but I have built an Omni10, 2 Omni 10.5, 2 DR250s, 2 OmniTB15, 2 Tuba24, and a whopping-big Titan48. If I could do it, you can. MY

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Jim + Saw = Lefty