1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Omnia Contact Mic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Earl, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

I recently came across this Omnia: Contact Microphone - Heart Sound which looks interesting. It says it is the first contact mic to use an accelerometer sensor (not sure what that is!). It attaches with putty similar to the Ischell (which I love) and Ehrlund (which I don't). It has as preamp but needs external phantom power. I contacted them and they said they are working on a version that will have phantom in their preamp. I asked Giorgio the maker if I could test it and post my thoughts here and then send it around to others interested and they do the same. He said yes. So if you would like to try it message me here with your name and address and I will start a list. I will let you know when I receive it, I'm thinking it may take a few weeks.

Here is their bass demonstration video

2. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

I have two people on the list so far. If there is anyone else who would like to test and review let me know asap as the maker would like me to send him a list.

3. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I would be interested in testing one... I have been looking for a decent contact mic to blend with my Gage Lifeline (or maybe replace it for some gigs)

4. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I play 4 gigs a week on my UB so I would be able to run it in different spaces etc.

5. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Well E
    I am curious and would like to know more information. What is an accelerometer based pickup and why would it be beneficial or better or different? Etc? I would like to hear a little bit more about what it is and where it goes and uh...another musical example....

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Price?

7. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Price is 419 euros plus shipping.

I do not know much more about it than what is written on their website.

8. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Message me your address Josh and I will put you on the list.

9. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

The list is now closed. First I will test it, then I will mail it to Samuel Harris who will mail it to ctxbass who will mail it to koricancowboy who will mail it to flatback who will mail it back to me. Each will spend a few days but not longer than a week with it and report here how it worked on their bass. Just a reminder that you need to have 48v phantom power for the Omnia either from your amp or a phantom power box.

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  10. Ortsom

Ortsom Banned

Mar 23, 2016
    An accelerometer is just a device that senses the acceleration (= the 2nd derivative of location) of the spot it is attached to. On it's own that is not really necessarily anything new, and other contact microphones can operate similarly. Think of a piezo disk, fixed at the edges, and with a mass in the centre, that is also an accelerometer. And there are many other ways it can be done (electrostatic, magneto dynamic, optic). For us, on a DB, the quality depends on the dynamic characteristics of the construction, and signal quality & treatment.

So on it's own, 'accelerometer' doesn't really spell anything new, but quite plausibly this new device incorporates new technology. Over recent years substantial improvements are made in all sorts of sensors, for example modern cars are full of them. So against that background, this could be a very interesting device to test.

A slight sidestep. You might think 'OK, I measure the acceleration of the top, I integrate that twice (easily done electronically), I amplify that and then the cone of my speaker will exactly follow the motion of my top'. So then I would get the perfect MBOL. Unfortunately, for for us, wanting to use a sensor to pick-up the sound from our instrument in order to amplify it truthfully (or at least giving an interesting & appealing sound), there is more. Firstly, our ears are very sensitive, and not easily pleased. That places severe restrictions on the dynamic characteristics of the construction, and signal quality & treatment. And secondly, this accelerometer is placed on just 1 location on the top, so you would get only the motion of that single location. Not of the instrument as a whole, as the ear normally hears it, and those not necessarily the same.

Nevertheless, this might well be a new development which spells a genuine improvement, or a valuable addition to the toolbox, so it's very interesting to test. Pity I'm too late & outside the US (which complicates things wrt taxes & duties).

Earl likes this.
  11. So what's the verdict on this pickup?

12. My guess is that Earl didn't even got it yet.

13. rickwolff

rickwolff Certified Gear Junkie, Amateur Adjunct Professor Supporting Member

Perhaps it's still accelerating and hasn't yet reached takeoff speed. (It's those dang accelerometers).