Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Omnichord!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Hey
    I have an Omnichord, it's this little machine that makes sounds, it has drum beats and chords and stuff. Anyway, I want to record it on my computer, it has an output jack, do you know if I would be able to plug it directly into my computer? Thanks.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Depends on what kind of sound card you have. More than likely you have a 1/8" jack for a microphone in the back, which is just a smaller version of the 1/4" instrument cable connector. I don't know what outputs the Omnichord has, but if you go to Radio Shack they have just about every adaptor you'll ever need to hook something up to something else.

3. go to radio shack, buy a female 1/4" to male 1/8" adaptor, make sure the 1/4" is female, and not male, because theres those everywhere, you want female 1/4 to male 1/8© Then connect that to one side of a guitar cable, then connect that to the mic input of your computer, connect the other end of the cable into the omnichord thingy, go to sound recorder, and you're done©

or

go to radioshack, buy a 5 ft male 1/8 to male 1/8 ¥make sure its sterio¤ then get a male 1/4 to female 1/8 adaptor© Then connect that to one side of a guitar cable, then connect that to the mic input of your computer, connect the other end of the cable into the omnichord thingy, go to sound recorder, and you're done©

The second situation will give you sterio sound if the omnichord has a sterio output ¥i doubt it¤, otherwise either will work, just chose which will be better for you© Just an sidenote, if you do the first one, no matter what, the signal will be mono, but if you do the second, and the omnichord output is sterio, then the second will be more useful© This is all asuming that the omnichord has a 1/4 inch output© if it doesnt, then replace anything i said with "1/4" and put in whatever type plug it is©

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Use the line in, not the mic in. The mic in usually is too noisy, and the line in should match the level of the omnichord's line out better anyway.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    unfortunately, sound cards' inputs are mono, not stereo.

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They're stereo, unless you have a 5$ card.
    Or you have at least dual mono, which equals stereo.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Every sound card I've seen has mono mic inputs, and usually only one. The line input may be stereo, but if you want fidelity, you've got to go with something like the Aardvarks, or Delta cards, or something along that line....

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, you were just talking about soundcard inputs. I thought you were responding to my earlier post about line ins
    Line ins are the 'regular' inputs, mic ins are just an extra, usually on 'consumer' or 'gamer' cards which are typically not suited for HD recording.

You're right on with your soundcard recommendations, though.
    I only happy that I trashed my SBLive for a Midiman Delta Audiophile 2496 :)
    This card rocks, 2 ms latency w/Cubase :D

9. Cutitupwiz

Cutitupwiz

Aug 14, 2005
    I'd like to help you with the instrument if I may. I would also like to purchase an Omnichord myself as I once owned one when they first came out. Can you tell me where you purchased yours?