Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Omnispresence of Ampeg SVT in videos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Sep 19, 2002.

1. The SVT is the coolest amp ever. Period.

74 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. Everyone needs to have what all the others have

34 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. It's just what gear rentals and producers have at hand

30 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. This phenomenon is part of the 'vintage-trend'

23 vote(s)
    11.0%
  5. Ampeg pays mucho $$$ for product placement

33 vote(s)
    15.7%
  6. Are there any other bass amps than the SVT?

27 vote(s)
    12.9%
  7. I don't care

63 vote(s)
    30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'm sure many of of you have noticed the downright omnipresence of the good old SVT in music videos, but also at live shows (not to that extent though).

Even softie boy groups like Natural use it in their video, and if the amp is another model it often still powers a SVT 810 (e.g. Eden w/ SVT810 in Avril Lavigne video).

This makes me sometimes wonder why this is so and what you think about it.

Matthias

2. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Same reason every yahoo has a fender or gibson.........hillfiger, polo, nike, honda......tyson chicken....wait, that last one might need to be scratched.

3. The SVT is the ultimate Rock and Roll amp. Simple as that. They have that real aggressive grindy tone and the sealed 810 is punchy as hell. Also an SVT is almost guaranteed to be loud enough in any situation. There's also a bit of "Industry standardism" involved, like Fenders or SM-58s, I won't dispute that. But anyone who thinks it's all for the look or the trendiness has never used one!

4. I got a chance to hear a full blown SVT and 8x10 while being a roadie for my daughter's band at their annual battle of the bands in the high school gym.

The SVT was played by a kid in another band who strummed hell out of his bass, and frankly it sounded like crap. It was driven so hard that it sounded like raging distortion projected through a shipping blanket.

It didn't have any bottom but had plenty of mid-bass bark.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I think alot of people use them because they are great amps and cabs, but at the same time, I'm sure there are alot out there that do have them just because they look cool.
    There was one guy here in town who bought one just because it looked "punk rock". Unfortunately it was stolen from the first gig he used it at, but he didn't know how to use it...it was all for the look.
    I do believe there are some of these bigger bands that don't know the first damn thing about thier gear or thier tone. The guitar players just want a PRS and a Mesa dual or triple rectifier, and the bass player want a Fender or Ibanez with an Ampeg. I think half of these idiots that are popular now couldn't even tell you if thier amp is tube or solid state or how to intonate thier instrument. :rolleyes:

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I wouldn't blame the SVT for the bad sound, I'd blame the kid.

7. I second that. I've heard SVT's sound great. Almost bought a vintage one myself. You'd better be (get) in shape if you're gonna buy a vintage SVT!!

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    There are a lot of options for volume or a big sound.
    SWR, Ashdown,G-K, and many others, all of which
    are happening... (God Bless America!)
    But NOTHING else sounds like an Ampeg,period.
    Yes, "even" the new SLM- era amps have the Ampeg "funk" in them. Push "Ultra" high or low and you can kick some butt!
    I have a new V4BH and I've played a B-15N for many years. Tone-wise these guys are unmatched, and IMO the other guys sound sterile & brittle in comparison. Can't beat tubes.
    At the top of the line in power is the SVT. You can match its power with other heads or a pre-amp/
    power amp combo, but you can't match its particular AMPEG sound. I think (hope) that's why you see alot of them on stage and in the studio-
    It's a sure thing that they will sound great even if the bass player doesn't.

9. I looked for a cupla years before I finally picked up my SVT and I've never looked back.
    Last spring my band Murdersquad, a crust/grind sort of thing went on tour with Despite another very heavy band, not only did I and their bass player both carry vintage SVTs, we also ran into others using the same at several stops on the trip including one show with Cripple Bastards from Italy. We are all about as far from mainstream as you can get but there is still SVTs everywhere and these are people who are very interested in good tone and a lot of power (and I do mean a lot).

Other amps I've owned:

Peavy TNT Combo - piece of crap but all I could afford when I started

Eden something head, tube pre with ss power - couldn't stand the lame ass tone and it still didn't have much power

old Traynor YBA3 tube head - nice sound but tends to distort easily when pushed

old Ampeg V4B - great tone but also tends to distort excessively after about 6 on the volume, it's still our studio amp

Sunn head, tube pre and ss power - alright but not much personality

a host of others I've borrowed at one time or another over the years.

10. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I think the point Matthias is trying to get at is that the SVT seems now to be more of an image enhancer than a tone enhancer, which is just the opposite of its original intention. It just seems "right" to be seen with an SVT; also the managers for these bands may be telling them to "get an SVT" as part of their image.

11. I don't think I'd dispute this. It certainly seems "de rigeur" for hard rock and punk bands. That doesn't change the fact that SVT's rule!:D

My SVT gives me the image of having superhuman strength, but in reality my back hurts and I get help moving it around....:p. Actually, both guitar players in my band are willing to help me because they really dig the tone! I don't know what's more amazing: Guitar players being helpful, guitar players actually listening to the bass or guitar players identifying good tone! hehe:D

12. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    can somebody give me a full listing of the svt heads? incl retail price, too :)

13. Whad'ya mean, a full listing of all SVTs produced over the years, the current models, what?
    Most people here are talking about the original vintage SVT which still includes several different revisions and are all older than around 20-25 years. Prices would be impossible to say, you just gotta hunt one down. For current models go to the ampeg site www.ampeg.com I believe.

And by the way, I did get the point, I was just trying to say that myself and lots of others are using SVTs for the sound and the power and couldn't care less how it might look if we ever did a video which isn't likely anywayz.

15. Nail, head.

I will say this, though: a giant blue wall of EBS behind you looks a lot cooler :D

16. __________________
    "I wear Abercrombie so bitches know I dominate."
    --Overheard at a party

I think this sums up some peoples use of Ampegs as well :)

We live in an image conscious/dominated culture. Deal with it. Play what you like, and what sounds good to you, and for your band. Personally, I've gone to shows and groaned when I saw Crate stacks, and then was amazed at the sound. Same when I've seen a nice "Brand X" stack and expected amazing sound only to hear garbage.

I didnt know they still played music videos on MTV :p

Peace

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Then there's Geddy, with the Maytag backline this tour. :) Alex's glowing blue Hughes & Kettners looked good though.

All the shows I've been to where the bassist used an SVT, and it was miked and sent through the PA (big shows, so all I'm hearing is PA), it sounded like ass. But, then again, that's been the quality of bass sound at about 80% of the big-PA shows I've been to anyway.

18. My daughter and her band went to the Rush concert last night in Sacramento. They had back stage passes and got to hob-nob with Geddy and Alex before and after the show.

My daughter (lead player) noticed the wall of H&K that Alex plays, but didn't pay attention to Geddy's bass rig. For the record, her band is all-Marshall for the guitars and SWR/Eden for their bassist.

Link to Aroarah Web Site

19. i dunno, i notice SWR stuff in videos a lot more. then again i haven't seen any music videos for a while.

i promise you guys that for my band's first video i'll play through a combo amp. :)

20. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm,, apparently my band will never get big,, I used my Carvin/Avatar setup for our music video!!