1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OM's new drummer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Deluge Of Sound, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Is a dude I've never heard of named Emil Amos, drummer for Grails (a post-rock outfit)
    http://www.myspace.com/grailsongs
    and the guy behind Holy Sons, a sort of lo-fi project with some serious blues influences, you can check it out here:
    http://www.myspace.com/holysons

As far as how it's going to affect OM, they've recorded a new 7", so we'll see. Personally, I'm excited to see the differences in the sound, even though I'm miffed I missed out on seeing the original line-up twice.

EDIT:
    Just took a listen to the newest Grails record, Burning Off Impurities, and it seems like Emil has a similar trajectory going with that group, so the pairing makes a little more sense now, but be warned, his drumming isn't similar to Chris's at all (No more riding the cymbals, I don't think), and it seems a little more up-tempo and, for lack of a better word, sober.

2. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    Up-tempo? :O But OM must be slooooow, that's what makes it doooooom. In any case, I'm sure whatever they'll do next will be filled with awesome bass riffs anyway, so I'm not too fuzzed, I just hope the new drummer will fit.

3. I wanna check out this new record, Grails is good stuff and the old Om **** is rad.

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Dude, OM is barely doom. It's slow, yes, and it's heavy, yes, but I don't think of them as doom at all. They're too positive to be doom.

Personally, I call them Meditation Metal. :D

5. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    Yeah well, even though I think genre debates are pointless, I definitely consider them doom metal. In any case, I can totally agree they're meditative. It's so easy to get lost in the songs and time just flies and all of a sudden, that 20 minute track is just over. Far too few bands can do that.

6. I checked out Grails and I like their sound--I think this could be good--of course add the guitar player from grails as well and that could make for a powerful band!

7. Sorry to bother, but who are OM? meditative metal sounds interesting, so a name would be awesome ;)

8. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    myspace.com/variationsonatheme

there you go. I also shot you a PM, if you turn out to be a fan.