On a Budget...Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jbasso, Mar 17, 2006.

1. jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Little background... I have been playing bass for a little over a year now, and am evolving as a player. I started out with an Ibanez gsr100 and Crate 10 or 15w practice amp. I finally purchased a new bass (sr905) which is amazing, but I feel I need a new rig to compliment it. I guess I dont have a SET budget, but it is fairly low. As of now, I am only playing at church, no gigging band or anything, so I dont NEED some 3000 dollar rig. I was looking at this GK setup:
    Click Here

Any thoughts? Honestly, I am new at shopping for new equipment in this area. What should I be looking for?

Lets say 400, thats my budget... If you guys had 400 to spend on a new rig, let me know what you would do

I really appreciate your help, this forum is great!
  2. mattvon

Jan 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I know this is a bit more dough than you'd like to spend, but I'm really digging the idea of a Ashdown MAG 300/Avatar B410Delta as a budget rig right now. It'd be a good starting point, and you could easily expand it as your need and budget allows.

$648 shipped to your door...maybe worth considering?
  3. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1. You can get it for even less if you shop used. Every once in a while Avatars and cheap, good quality heads pop up in the For Sale forums.

I suggest you buy used. You'll save money, and if you keep the items in good condition you can get most of your money back should you decide to sell.
  4. i was looking at an ashdown MAG300 and an ashdown 410T as my first "real" rig. 600+shipping. mabey if you took the time to get a little more cash for your budget, you might just get something really worthwile that you can build upon and expand as you grow and expand as a bass player. good luck!
  5. jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Thanks guys, I will take your advice and spend a bit more, as it will probably be worth it in the long run.

Im new to this forum, how is the bst community? Safe for the most part? I would much rather pick something up from a TB'er than on ebay.
  6. nt40lanman

Jul 25, 2005
    I would add a few general suggestions.

Try to buy stuff you'll use forever, especially if you're buying new and paying full price. Try to avoid "transitional" gear.

If you have to buy something you know will be sold, buy used and find a good deal so you don't lose any money on it. I always have my eyes open for something I'd like to try out AND will make me a buck when I sell it.
  7. wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    +1 on buying used, if possible, and spending a bit more for something decent...

I would recommend staying away from that GK package (even though GK gear is generally great) because that head only goes to down to 8 ohms which means you couldn't add on another cab if you found the volume lacking... plus the cab has a low sensitivity so it's likely to not be very loud to begin with...

You can find good used bargains on Peavey, Hartke, GK... the Ashdown MAG line is very inexpensive new and sounds really good regardless of its price point... and, of course, Avatar or Dr. Bass are good inexpensive new cabs. Plenty of good options for an inexpensive loud first real set-up...

To echo and refine a point made above, try to find at least one piece (head or cab) that you'll want to stay with for a good while, that way when you want to upgrade, you'll only be buying one piece (or adding a second cab) instead of two. A minimum 300 watt head that goes down to 4 ohms and 4x10 or 2x12 cab would be a good start...
  8. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Buy used. I did the whole great basses, poor amplification for years and have finally decided to upgrade my stuff...

Think of it this way. To an extend. Someone could buy a Fender Squire used for like $150... They change the pickups and do some truss rod or action fixes and a new set of strings... That would be like $200 total for everything... If they run the Squire through a $1800 Ampeg head or something and $1000 8x10 cabinet, it is going to sound GOOD!

$2400 bass and a $800 head and $200 cabinets wouldn't sound as great.

That is what I noticed. I have had bottom of the barrel cabinets for a long time and have REALLY noticed a difference when I upgraded.
  9. +1 more on the saving for something like an avatar, that are great cabs at great prices. it may be a little more but it could be worth getting a 4x10 instead of 1x15 and a 125w head right now.
  10. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'll agree with this too a good extent, but I think feel, fit and playability of a bass are the same or if not more important than tone. Most people listening, say at a gig, that aren't bassist or musicians can't tell/ care about your tone as long as it sound ok. Now, I'll also say that if the player doesn't like his tone then it can really affect his playing. Like most things in life its all about balance.
  11. jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Sounds good guys, I decided to pour some more money into the rig, I will be sure to let you know what I decide on

I appreciate your time
  12. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    great advice above. if you're on a budget, consider an Avatar B210 cab, then later pick up another 210 or a 212 or 410. just make sure you figure out what head you want first, then match up the ohms.

a used yorkville xs400 (or 800) and an avatar 210 would be a killer rig that's very expandable.
  13. rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON

a little off topic but man am i creeped out. what i mean is that you and i are so similar in terms of bass playing. i started out on a gsr200 with a 15 watt amp. i then upgraded to an sr900. i also have been playing a little over a year. i also am looking for a new amp! coincidence??!?!
  14. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not a huge fan, because I think there's much better stuff out there for the money.