Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? on a modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Jun 22, 2001.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm swapping for a 93 modulus 5 string. It has EMG pups and a figured maple top. How much do these sell for used? Are they pretty good? Other considerations?

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i've seen prices vary considerably on such
    instruments....it would help to know the
    model.

general ball park: $900 - $1500

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Not sure of the model. It has 2 pup and a flamed maple top. I think it predates the quatum and sweet spot series.

4. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    2 or 3-band EQ? Do you know the preamp?

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm really not totally sure of this, but since that's about the time I bought my Modulus, from what I remember, there were basically 4 models at the time, really all variations of one-another.

The "low-end" was the M-92, which had a pick guard, as opposed to rear-routing (duh!), which all the others had.

The next was the Quantum Sweetspot, which was rear routed and had a single pickup in the "sweetspot".

The third model (the one I had) I think was also called a Quantum (not sweetspot). It featured 2 pickups, either Bart's with a 3 band or EMG's (which I had) which only came in a 2-band eq. I don't know if EMG had a 3 band back then, otherwise I would have taken it. This model listed back then for around $2,400, give or take a couple hundred (back in 1994, anyway).

The last model was the same as the Quantum I had, but the graphite neck was a neck-through.

Hope this provides some insight.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If it's the neckthrough (Tbx?), then be looking at $1500+.

If its the M-92, then easily <$1000.

The others should fall in between those, easily. Probably no more than $1200-1300 if it's in perfect condition.

Beware: The EMGs are REALLY sterile with the graphite neck.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's the problem I had...

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yep, a good change of pickups would've helped you! That, or a Spector. :D

9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I think you should buy the bass and give it to me... But seriously.

Are you getting it from a local dude? What are you swapping?

Mine, as you know, is flawed but still kicks ass. The early 90's ones seem to be cool. But I thought that tone wasn't your bag? It's snappy as hell... bouncy... punchy... crunchy... whatever. I fell in love with these amazing basses. I have never played one that was bad unless it had crappy strings.

P.S. RS - I love the way the EMG's work with these basses. The Barts seem too quiet.

10. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I traded a mid 90's Yamaha TRB6 in great shape for an early 90's Quantum 5 with an alder body and a purpleheart top (I think). It has the EMG soapbars and the the two band eq. The pick ups are kind of noisy for EMG's I think they actually the 40P and 40 J. I tend to agree that the EMG's are a bit sterile but they do have alot of growl and bite and I like that.

11. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    hey rojo, sorry I couldn't get to your recent gig.
    I had some family thing I had to go to. I'm trading my Conklin 7 str for it. I sold my Fender MIM V Dlx, and could use a good 5 string for some stuff I'm working on. The only other B string that I've played and liked is your modulus. Hopefully my Demeter's warmth will balance out the zig a little.

12. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Man, you know you gotta bring that mofo to show me ASAFP.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ;)LOL

14. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Sure Rojo. Hey, what strings do you use on yours?
    What gauge B? Taperwounds or regular?

15. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    When it was at the store, it had Elixirs on it. I put tapercore Ken Smiths on it and they are awesome. It has the Kahler bridge, which is almost made to accept standard strings better than tapers, but they work fine and I'm gonna guess that the one you're trading for has an ABM bridge.

The ones I have on it now are 44-128. I like them. We don't have any though, I had to buy them at Scam Assh. But that was only because to get the bass, I kind of pulled a fast one on GC. The strings I think would be cool would be Zon, Smith, maybe Fodera. We have em all.

Keep me posted.