Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

On a Rush listenin' kick,,,why now?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by notduane, Feb 12, 2001.

1. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Did a step back the other day to scan the forest (vs the trees).
    On my rinky-dink CD changer I've got Mingus, Manring, (Ray) Brown, Primus, and Rush.
    Of all these guys, I noticed I'm listenin' to Rush more than anything...why? :eek:
    Well I tells ya' why :p . It was always this time of year back home when Geddy and
    the fellers came through town. I dunno. Just struck me as kinda' weird.

Most memorable concert? (of the 5 shows I remember :rolleyes: ) -
    The Farewell to Kings tour. I had crappy seats so I brought the binoculars.
    The lights go down and a spot hits Lifeson. Through the `nocs, I see he's done a
    "Springsteen" with his regular guitar. A roadie had rolled-out a classical mounted
    on a mic stand. I'm zoomin' in to check this out when the song kicks in and those
    go*-da#n arc lights come on. :eek: Ahhhh! I'm blind! :p .

2. i haven't seen them since presto, have you gone to any of the recent shows?

it is that time of year isn't it
    i remember for perm waves they sold out 2 show in 40 minutes in boston.

great show

3. Dude,

I've seen them numerous times in the 80's. The 2112 tour was awesome (I think - I lost a lot of brain cells that night - ok, that year - ok, that decade) It's been quite a while since seeing them - but I still listen to them regularly. What a great band!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've been to the last 6 tours. I never made any of the earlier ones.

IMO they get better every year, although I like the pre Power Windows and post Presto stuff the best... Aww heck, I love it all! How can I possibly decide that I like one era better than the others? It's all great, IMHO.

But I like the guitar oriented stuff better than the keyboard oriented stuff.

I like synths for effects, ala 2112, not like on Hold Your Fire.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I think...[​IMG]...the last one I saw was Permanent Waves.
    After that :rolleyes:...choosing a career that'd get me outta' the house by 18
    after J/C flushed the economy down the toilet (aside from being the next great writer
    known for run-on sentences).

Then :D (ahhh) marriage [​IMG] .

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've seen them on every tour since "Permanent Waves" except for "Signals" and "Power Windows". The only reason I missed those shows is because they didn't come within 8 hrs of where I was living at those times. I'll second the opinion of Sir Jeff of the Belli, they get better each time I see them, and I can't imagine how they do it! The last tour, "Test For Echo", was incredible, 3 hours of just them. What a night, heard everything you could imagine wanting to hear, including the ENTIRE first side of 2112, which they didn't even do on the 2112 tour! :D

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Did you see the thread that came in today about a Rush tribute? Some guys in NY state are looking for a bassist for the Rush tribute they are putting together. It sounded serious and professional.

If you could get a Rick and a castration for the vocals you could take a shot!!! (Don't know where the thread went).

8. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i saw them in 93, whatever tour that was.

i was unimpressed. it was the first and only time i have seen them.

peart was dropping sticks and botching fills all nite. geddy was out of key quite often.

part of that, i am sure, was due to the arena they played in. Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill, NC. Horrible place for a concert.

to make things worse, candlebox opened up..L A M E

9. I'll echo Gard. They keep getting better and better. Not only have their last few studio albums been a step up from their mid-80's stuff, but the live shows have been amazing. As Acacia pointed out, the venues they play in are less than suited for a rock 'n roll show.. the acoustics in most basketball arenas are horrible. I'd be willing to bet some of the "botched fills" you heard from Peart were actually echoes coming off the walls.
    In any case.. they're the best band that ever was, in my book.
    AND.. they're back in the studio!!!