On A Scale Of 1 - 10 What Would You Give This Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Jan 28, 2003.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest, what would you give this bass?

and also, if you have a lot of experience with this bass, how is the action? can you put it really low with minimal fret buzz?
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    My brother has a painted version of the sr400 and al in all I'd say its a decent bass. I don't much care for ibanez electronics though-they seem to have a tinny sound. The action is set to med-low on his and the fret buzz is not a problem. It does get good punch though. If you want amore mellow sound go elsewhere, but if you like a more aggressive tone I'd say go for it. Oh and if your comfortable with Ebay, sr400's go all the time for close to $200. The naturals are little harder to find than the blue and black though.
    for the price? 8/10..overall...6/10
  3. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Maybe a 5.

I'm a big Soundgear fan, but for that price I'd prefer a MIM fender instead or buy a used SR800 or SR1000. Ibanezes don't have great re-sale value so you can find them really cheap.

I have an early 90's SR400 which doesn't have active electronics. I never played one of the new ones long enough to see if the quality has changed.

For some reason the strings seems to rattle more (when I'm moving around the fretboard) than my other basses. I've put different brands of strings on it and they all do the same.

You can get good mid to low action with minimal buzzing though.
  4. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Yep...a 5 or 6. Good bass for the money, but I think there are better choices in MIM Fenders.

The natural looks nice though.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    2 or 3 .... I used to have a 6 string version of the same bass. Didn't like the tone at all, but that's my opinion. The one thing that you need to know about SDGR's is that their neck will tend to some funny twisting... in two directions. A guy that works on my Fender from time to time said that the worst bass for set-ups is the SDGR.

Go for a Fender MIM, if you are going to be spending that same money. The resale will be better, the neck will hold up better and your tone will be more solid. IMO
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    probably about a 3.
  8. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    I've owned several soundgears and never had a problem with twisted necks. These were all 4 strings though.
  9. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I'd probably say a 5, if you replace the pickups maybe a 6 or 7. I have an Ibanez GSR 200 with EMG's and it sounds better than any American Fender I've played. But its neck is starting to warp, thats probably cuz it cost $200 new. Ibanez basses usually have very fast playing necks, they just come with crappy electronics and sometimes look a tad distasteful. I'd say play it and if you like it, whos anyone else to say not to get it.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    For a beginner, I'd rate it a 6.

For an intermendiate player, I'd rate it a 4.

For an advanced player, I'd rate it a 3. The only reason it's not a 2 is because an advanced player can adapt his/her technique to fit the instrument.

My band opened for another band last night. The other bassist had an Ibanez Roadstar II. Those basses usually go for less than $300 and are excellent.
  11. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    3/10 .....

I payed my MIM deluxe Fender Jazz Bass, 538$ ...
    It sounds 1000x better then an SR400 .....
    1000x times more versatile too !
  12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    If you like the way it plays and sounds and looks, it's a 10...it's all personal preference.

I have a SR406 6 string and I love it. Kind of stumbled into it at a big sale at Guitar Center and picked it up merely out of curiosity. The neck felt wonderful and I liked the way it plays and sounds.

I haven't really played the 4 string and I don't necessarily care for the feel of the 5.

I do love my MIM 4 string P bass so I would recommend that you look at those too.

Trust your ears, your hands and your heart.

Good luck!!!
  13. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I have a SR640 that is fairly close, which I give 7/10. I like it A LOT better than the 400, which felt really uncomfortable. I give a 4.5/10.
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree with this a lot.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They are nice basses, but I wouldn't call it a pro axe. It's just a good beginner bass.
  16. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    4-6 Nice coloring and all. The neck looks rough unfortunatly like mine. I like 5 stings now though. I forgot how to play a 4 string. I thought it was like riding a bike but apparently not.

Looks heavy with the way it's balanced in that picture and doesnt hve and Ibanez look. I see the as more creative basses(Mine is the crazyness).

These are just my complaints put into a lot of detail. If I had money and everything I needed(Gear, Amp, etc...) I'd go after it definitly. Nice bass man.