On average, how much does it cost to adjust all the frets on a bass's neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sean775, May 22, 2018.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    And I assume that's done by having them filed down, right?

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Frets are not adjusted per say. A fret leveling includes filing the frets level and then re-shaping them. It is a pretty big job.

3. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Would I be better off just buying a new Mexican Fender neck for $200?

4. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    No, because a new Mex Fender nick might need the exact same process carried out.

I bought one of those brand new Fender Mex Jazz necks a couple of years ago. This was during the period Fender offered bodies and necks for sale as stand-alone items. The neck was not player ready. The nut needed to be filed correctly, the frets needed leveled, crowned and polished, and the board needed scraped and oiled. I also needed to install tuners and a string tree, and the hole for the tree wasn't pre-drilled.

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  5. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Another question that may be related: if the action is ok by the bridge up to the middle, but I have lots of string buzz at the first few frets, could the nut be too deep/low? Could the nut be shimmed in order to fix it?

6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That could be the case, but I would suspect that the neck has a back bow and that the truss rod needs an adjustment. The nut being too low would only really affect open strings. Once you press down at the first fret, the nut isn't really part of the equation anymore.

7. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Sounds like the neck needs some relief, try loosening the trussrod a little.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021