1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

on board compression

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman_2_1, Apr 6, 2006.

1. bassman_2_1

bassman_2_1

Dec 31, 2005
    Hi guys i am using a Ampeg SVT4-PRO, i have been using the compression that is bulit in the amp, while this compression does its job and quite nicely for my taste i have been told that using the compression will suck up a fair bit of power of the amp? there are loads of bass amps now with on-board compression and can anyone clarify this? I am literly using the dial on 3/10 say. Would not using this make the amp louder say? also would using a rack compressor leave the amp to use then its full power? any comments would be great

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have not heard that. I don't notice anything on my Eden 550 and I use it sparingly as well.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Compressors in no way suck power. It is possible to misuse one to the point of compromising output if you combine a really low threshold with a very high compression ratio and do not correct the output gain.

There is nothing magic about a rack compressor. In fact, if you don't know what you are doing, you are way more like to goof your tone with one, as they are much more flexible in configuration.

Most onboard compressors are limited enough in control to prevent any real problems. Most don't even have the control that I mentioned above. If it is working for you, there's no need to go with a rack.

4. bassman_2_1

bassman_2_1

Dec 31, 2005
    cheers guys, yeah my compressor does a nice job, i only need a tiny bit too, i just heard this form someone and thought..hmmm

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    As a rule of thumb I'm going to like almost any rack compressor more than the typical 1 knob compressor found on integrated amps. Mostly that's because I like compression to be more subtle than *most* amp designer seem to. I seriously doubt that your on-board compressor is robbing any power or headroom from your amp. Seriously though ,withand SVT4-pro running at 3 out of 10 - does it matter ? Seems like you've power to spare to me ... knowledge is good on the other hand...