On board eq - hiss when treble is boosted?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ny_chan, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Hi,
    Is it common when the treble control is boosted, hiss is heard?
    I've installed a preamp into my bass with EMGs. Just wondering...
  2. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    I've never heard a preamp or amp that didn't give hiss with the treble boost.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's worse in some preamps than others. I've noticed it worst in MEC and EMG preamps
  4. hiss is almost unavoidable. if you are using the bass live it really shouldn't make a difference at higher volumes. the giutar will drown things out. what type of music do u play?
  5. Do u mean, even the Sadowsky preamps hisses! :meh:
    I play some funk, ballads, gospel, blues and rock.
  6. I've got a Noll 2 band eq. installed with EMG PJ set. Wonder if 18v supply would ease the hiss as the dynamic range is better?
  7. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Probably not. The noise you're hearing is a function of the noise floor, gain structure and implementation of the design. The 18V will allow a potentially larger signal to pass through the preamp before clipping, but it's unlikely to change the noise floor much.

Also the frequency range that the treble tone control affects is the region where our hearing is most sensitive, so it's much more obviously audible most of the time. (see Fletcher Munson curves)
  8. i c so it is a matter of more or less......
    Thanks for helping!
  9. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    Different preamps also roll off the high frequencies at different points. Noise is related to the square root of the frequency bandwidth.
  10. wow, the owner of audere is here as well. An honor.
    Is there any way to address this hiss?
    Well some say ignore it. To me sounds like "vintage" tape player......haha:smug:
  11. I figure your going to get hiss no matter what... but, you can have it, or have less... now if your getting a buzz, than somethings wrong... but, hissing is normal if you have the treble up high... if you have a head with a _ band eq if you push any given one of those sliders up, it will hiss at a different frequency.. to much of any one/s will give you a hiss...
  12. so hiss is unavoidable no matter what gear is used?