On Board EQs with Mid-Sweep??!?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basstastic, Mar 2, 2002.

1. I am replacing my Ibanez BTB405QM with YAMAHA TRBII5. I like the Yamaha more, in terms of playing, and sound wise i think it is more solid. However I was rather attached to the EQ set up on the BTB, i.e. the way you could adjust stuff. Plus there is not my beloved MId Sweep on the TRB. Can you tell me what manufacturers make on board EQs or pre amps with Vari mid sweep on. thank you very much

2. The U-retro by John East has variable mids. The U-retro is a universal mounting preamp, and I think it costs $250. You can see reviews and other comments, plus order one, at Steve Barr's forum. "The Dudepit". Steve is a top guy. His addy is VintgeBass@aol.com (no "a" in vintage)
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I believe both EMG and Bart's have sweepable mid EQ's. I have them on my Ibanez SR-1206 (cue laughter about Ibanez electronics, but they're really not as bad as made out to be ;) ), and I love them. They're great for cutting through an acoustically dead room, and when using distortion it's a handy tool for dialing in the perfect feedback frequency. :D
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've never seen a Bartolini preamp with variable/sweepable mids. The U-Retro, though expensive, is a great choice. About ready to order mine!
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Bart preamp in the US MTD's has a three position switch for choosing the center on the mid cut and boost. Like Angus, I can't recall seeing sweepable mids on a Bart preamp either.

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    the haz lab in my r-bass is sick!!!!
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think it's set at 250 Hz, 500 Hz, and 1K Hz...

Status makes a preamp that some of their basses have variable mids. I don't know if you could buy one to install on your bass or not, but you can contact 'em.
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why...it looks like it doesn't do anything:D j/k

I have a simpler Haz Labs preamp in my Spector. I LOVE that tone:D