On-board fuzz circuit

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mellowgerman, Nov 22, 2020.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I've dabbled with passive fuzz circuits in the past, which can be fun, but I've always experienced a bit of a volume drop with them, so switching on mid-song was always a little bit of a let down. Debating how to get a nice snarly fuzz boost, I considered installing the guts of an existing fuzz into my strat bass, but then I came across the Artec ODD on-board distortion/overdrive circuit. Couldn't find any bass demos of one but it's super cheap, so I figured there wasn't much to lose in trying it out. I was pleasantly surprised to find just how killer it sounds on bass. Actually preserves low end!
    There are 4 gain settings. The first two are pretty lackluster, at least with this single Gibson Minibucker in the neck position. The last two are great though. One being a moderate chunky fuzzy overdrive and the other being a full-bore laser beam of fuzzy glitchy goo. In this short video you get the high octane setting. I plan to play around a little more withthe circuit, with switchable capacitors and a pre-fuzz volume, so I plan to put up a little more comprehensive demo then with better recording methods than my cell phone camera, but here's a little sneak peak as-is:

Beheroth likes this.
  2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    CORRECTION: it's QDD not ODD... not sure why, but talkbass is not letting me edit my original post

3. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Sweet

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022