1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

on-board pre shootout anyone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superbassman2000, May 2, 2006.

1. Hello all,

I don't really frequent this part of the forum, but since i am daydreaming about my hopefully-soon-to-be-future six string bass, I was thinking with all this Audere and glockenklang talk, i was wondering if someone has compared those two with the U/J-retro preamp, the EMG BTC thing, and other onboard pres...has anyone?
    would they be willing to?

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    with all due respect to John,John's J-retro He is basically working on filtering

the J-retro
    Treble boost is at 3K Hz where his cut is at 1K Hz

Bass boost is a 50 Hz this is a boost only control
    as you add move bass the frequency goes downward

Mid control is a dual stacked knob
    You can vary the frequency from 150 Hz to 3K Hz
    You can vary the level +/- 12 dB

He has a bright switch +8 dB at 7 KHz

He has an active blend

He has a blend disable to set both pickups to equal

He has an active/passive switch

He offers black, chrome, and gold

The Audere offers

A Z-Mode switch
    this changes the loading on the pickups to 3 different settings (John uses 100K like center mode)

The blend is Active

Treble boost/cut of 10 dB at 3K Hz shelving

Bass boost/cut of 10 dB at 100 Hz shelving

Mid is boost/cut of 8 dB at 500 Hz

Battery meter LED

Audere offers chrome only

In general John swings his tone control much more extremely than Audere does.
    John always adds some bass boost - even when the control is set to the min (like Bart does at flat). In addition he knows most people will run the bass in the center detent which is a lot of boost.
    John is working on filtering to make the bass easier to drive. So he has 1 control which moves both the level and frequency. His sweepable mid control is cool.while
    Audere is working on pickup loading and how this changes the sound.

The Audere and The J-retro are like Apples and Oranges,both great products.

3. well, my thoughts are that i want something that requires a battery in my bass...I should have said on-board electronics shootout or something...i just wanted a thread where people talked discussed the different on-board electronic options and stuff like that

4. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I know I don't have 1/2 the expirence of most people, but I do have expirence with -

The East preamps
    EMG BTC
    Bartolini
    Aguilar
    Demeter
    Suhr
    Benavente
    Sadowsky

I think that's about it...

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've got experience with many of the on board electronics:
    Barts - 2 band, 3 band
    Aguilar - 2 band, 3 band
    East U-Retro/J-Retro/BTB-01
    Suhr
    EMG
    Sadowsky
    Audere
    Raven Labs
    plus more I can't think of right now

It's almost impossible to post detailed comparisons of all of these vs each other. Do you have specific qualities/features you are looking for?
    There are many many threads comparing the various brands, maybe start with a search and see what questions you have that aren't answered in those threads?

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Interesting, and I'm in for the ride. However, preamps interact with pickups and particular basses (woods, pickup placement, etc.) that I would find it difficult to isolate the sound of a particular pre independant of all that other stuff. For example, my Sadowsky sounds similar in active and passive mode..... and my Stambaugh with the Pope pre sounds quite different from my old Fodera with a similar Pope pre.

That being said.... having a list of treble and bass frequencies and general features all in one place would be cool.

I can help with the wonderful Greengrove pre... my current favorite, and one of the most unique out there IMO:

- Volume/Volume
    - Active Bass boost and cut (+/- 16db at 40 hz)
    - Bass Q dip switch... wide or narrow Q
    - Passive treble roll-off control
    - Two dip switches to control treble boost prior to passive control.... with a low boost starting at around 1K and a high boost starting around 2K (both can also be engaged at the same time).
    - Incredibly low noise
    - Output volume control and +6db boost dip switch

Wonderful preamp that, to my ear, gives you a feeling of a passive circuit with bass boost and cut, and also the ability to really fine tune the treble frequency and response... wonderful for a J Bass type tone.

This pre sounds MUCH more 'natural' than the J Retro (i.e. sounds less active to me), and is much quieter IMO.

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Ken, would you offer more details on this preamp? Where does it come from? What kind of configurations can it be made in? What exactly is the Q? Any information that you've got that might help me would be great.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hello. It's a great preamp, and is the preamp that comes standard in the Celinder basses.

Here is the link to the website. From what I understand, they only make one preamp, and 'it is what it is', although I think they are working on an 'active/passive' version.

If you click on the download section, and click on the GP-1 info, it has all the Q distribution curves (wide and narrow), and detailed specs. The Q control is similar to that on a fully parametric EQ... it adjusted the width of the frequencies impacted around the control's center point.

Please feel free to PM me if you want more info... I LOVE this preamp for J type instrument.

http://www.greengrove.dk