On board preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FunkyLemz, Oct 29, 2005.

1. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was just wonderin if someone could explain to me what exactly is an on board pre and how is the aguilar 3 version.
    Thanks any info will help
  2. an onboard preamp is a pre amp that is already installed in the bass instead of only having a preamp on an amp or a pedal
  3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Many posts on the OBP-3. This may belong under basses??
  4. It's in my Stambaugh 6. Very strong bass & treble control, good mids. I've never needed more mids, but IMO the bass & treb are more powerful. I haven't A/Bed it w/other preamps, but I am very happy w/what it does for me. I also had a Spector fretless w/the Aggie OBP-1(boost-only 2-band vs the OBP-3's 3-band cut or boost)& liked it's basic character.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's basically an onboard EQ. The Aguilar OBP-3 is a 3 band cut/boost preamp. I prefer the OBP-1 2 band boost only type.
  6. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I have been a proponent for on board preamps since day #1.

They give you the control over your sound ,independent of mixing consoles ,amps and speakers.
    A good on board pre amp does several things:

Boost your output gain
    Incredible sustain
    Give you control over EQ via parametric or set frequencies,compensating in lack of , or too much low end or mids or highs.
    With a parametric Eq circuit with a 20db boost or cut,you can"dial" in eq that makes your bass sound like a P bass,Jazz,EBo etc.Lpts of versatility.
    You can plug headphones directly into the bass.
    You can even plug directly into a power amp ,like Crown because you have a pre amp in your bass.

What you need to consider is the prospect of cutting into the wood on your bass to make room,depending on the size of the circuit board ofg the preamp and the cavity in the bass body.Also ,you need to fit inside 9 volt batteries that need to be changed.Some use an external power supply which mean changing the guitar jack to a pin type jack.

My experience with Aguillar is that the high end is noisey with "hiss". More problems than it's worth. A preamp that uses quality chips and that is properly sheilded is much better,such as a Demeter. Make sure the pre amp is quiet.

All my basses have preamps and that ensures I always get my sound in the recording studio.
    Hope this helps.