Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

On board preamps - are they enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Feb 23, 2005.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    If one had a Bass Git with on board pre, and wasnt going to use a regular Amp/Speaker setup, but go straight to a mixer, is the onboard pre enough and if it was, presumably all that would be needed then was a DI box ?

2. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Actually i spose you wouldnt need a DI box.

I love talking to meself :help:

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I had a Peavey Cirrus with an onboard preamp and I often went direct into the board...but only for recording...never live.

4. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Cheers !

5. I agree with Smash. You don't need a pre in your bass, or a DI. But having the pre in your bass gives you the option of tailoring your tone a little bit before the sound guy gets it. A lot of "sound guys" don't know bass tone as well as you do, and while he gets the last shot at EQ-ing it, I find it helps if you get it where you want it before he gets it. Sometimes he'll even leave it alone! A DI makes a big difference if you're talking more than twenty feet or so, by converting to a balanced signal which doesn't deteriorate or collect interference as much as an unbalanced signal. One of my favorite gigs gear-wise was done with a relatively inexpensive MXR M-80 Bass D.I.+ and a good active bass. The sound guy left the EQ alone, I had more control than I needed, and the box and a couple of cables fit in my gig bag. I walked to that gig with my gig bag slung over my shoulder and both hands swinging freely by my sides! The keyboard player was so jealous of my streamlined rig that steam came out of his ears every time he saw me.

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I love that idea tombrian.

2 tons of amp + speakers ? :help:

No thanks

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    definitely go with the di. IMO you'll be happier with the tone.

just a caveat, gigging with no amp can be great as long as there is a good pa with excellent mains, powerful amps, good monitors, and a competent soundman. the day you gig like that with a bad pa will be a nightmare and if you dont have some kind of amp as a backup you will be miserable. ;)

8. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Heard that Mike ;)

9. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Are you the chap who asked the same question on Bass world?