Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

on board preamps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 5, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have a bass equipped with old di marzio j style pickups, i'd really like to put an onboard preamp on it to make the sound huge and a little bit more versatile. which onboard preamp do you suggest?

2. You dont say what sort of bass it is, so...if it's a Jazz style, I'd recommend the J-retro preamp. If it's a rear routed body style, I'd recommend a Seymour Duncan 3band EQ for passive pups.

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Bartolini 2- and 3-band preamps are really nice as well IME; I recently put a three band unit with a 3 position switchable midrange in my five string fretted Hoyt and really like it.

I've not tried a j-retro, no slight inferred. In fact, I'd like to give one a whirl one of these days.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Hey Bob...no "slight" taken buddy! I'll send you a J-Retro "Demo" once I get them back in. I have a few floating around so people can try before they buy. Problem is that once they try them they always wind up buying the demos!!