Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

On board preamps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funkify, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Funkify

Funkify Guest

Feb 26, 2006
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Hi,

I'm considering to have my Yamaha BB5000A pimped by my luthier with an onboard preamp. He suggested the Aguilar OBP-3. I've been doing some research and have found another interesting device: the U-retro 01 deluxe, manufactured by east-uk. Does anyone have experience with either? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks

2. Do a search. There is a copious amount of information on both.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I second doing the search, but you'll have more luck if you search for J-Retro, rather than U-Retro. The J-Retro is designed as a drop-in replacement for a standard Fender Jazz; the U-Retro is the exact same circuit, but is made to fit almost any rear-routed bass.

It's a pretty cool-sounding preamp. It's got some pretty cool features, and some things that some people don't like about them. All in all, it comes down to personal preference, but they're fairly well-known and respected overall.

Also, if you go to dudepit, there's an entire forum just on the J/U-Retros. Tons of great advice there. Good luck!

4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have installed a couple of U Retro Deluxes, and have had excellent experience. If passive tone control is important to you and you have room for four holes, get the Deluxe model.

Anything specific you want to know?

All the best,

R

5. Funkify

Funkify Guest

Feb 26, 2006
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Thanx for all the reply's. I just found out about the existence of the Dude Pit yesterday: I'll dive into that later this weekend. By the way: I had done some searching, but didn't find anything about the OBP-3 nor the U-Retro. So Dude Pit's one tip: other suggestions, anyone?

Thanx again.

6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Funkify -

the offer is still open ... what specifically about the U Retro (Deluxe) are you wanting and opinion on?

all the best,

R

7. A general search of obp-3 brings up 500 posts.

A general search of u-retro brings up 458 posts.