1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

On combining fuzz/distortion pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FunkyBassline, May 4, 2010.

1. If this has been posted already just point me in the right direction.

I've just recently been introduced to the addiction of buying effects pedals, listening to effects, and wanting more than I can afford all thanks to you people :help: So among the multitude of pedals ive picked up over the past couple months are a Bass Big Muff Pi and a Boss ODB-3. I was piddling around one day and found that the muff and the boss sound AMAZING together at the right settings. I was just wondering about any other muff/distortion combos that would be worth trying out/adding to my ever growing GAS list :D Thanks.

2. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I use a bunch of 2 distortion combinations. (3 doesn't work well). Each is tested out allot before being assigned. Often it's an overdrive into a blended fuzz. (like your BBM) Common ones are EH Blogger (on drive) into Blowtorch (my most synthy sound). Prunes & Custard into Xotic BB Preamp or Karaoke Party (brings out the edge of P&C). Xotic preamp into Attack Goat (the most overtones), Electronix Cross Drive into DeviEver Karaoke Party or Attack Goat. (these fuzzes brighten up the rather dark Crossdrive) BB Preamp into Blowtorch for too much bass and treble. The Attack Goat is always last because it adds an octave up of overtones to any other box, less than 1/2 blend. I think the Blowtorch is the only one I use alone because it's pretty radical with the torch button in, full mid and treble, 1/2 blend. I'm always trying to preserve my attack (or a good attack with nonblended fuzzes), so too much fuzz is bad. Tonight I'll try a DE Ruiner first to see how it works into a MXR octave delux. btw, I run the MXR dulux octave into an ElectroniX Mess drive Hybrid (on modern sound, full treble) and often into the Attack Goat too. All these go into a VT always on...but with very little drive.

3. +1 for the VT Bass being an "always on pedal", I love the sound of its light overdrive stacked with a light fuzz. :bassist:

4. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Some fuzzes really like being first in line.
    That is all.

5. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    well i used combo dirts all the time. my chain was EHX Hot Tubes>TS-9>EHX Tube Zipper. It sounded amazing to switch between the fuzz into the ts-9 or the ts-9 into a fuzz.

You can't go wrong either way. Just play around with them.

***HERE IS THE KEY TO IT I THINK***

Use scooped pedals with scooped pedals. Mid humps with mid humps.

6. +1
    I started off with OD > Fuzz but found Fuzz > OD worked better, for me.
    Some of the pedals you will find like your bass at half volume as well.

My fuzz is Devi Ever Ruiner > OK > Darkboost, the dark boost being an OD. I crank the ruiner into the OK as hot as I can and do the same with the ok. The DB controls the chain in a nice, gritty manner.

My OD is Source Audio Multiwave Pro, which is off when I go to the fuzz.

I blend both with clean to reintroduce low end.

Happy hunting!

7. Bish42

Bish42

Dec 26, 2001
    England
    Yeah, my black Russian muff sounds good going in to my Sansamp BDDI. Where the Sansamp is set to full gain and blend to 11 o'clock.