1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

On eBay: the world’s first electric bass guitar, forgotten, and made in Seattle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Erik Lacitis, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Erik Lacitis

Erik Lacitis

Mar 6, 2018
    On eBay: the world’s first electric bass guitar, forgotten, and made in Seattle. Made 80-some years ago, the Tutmarc Audiovox 736 Electric Bass still plays, and still sounds pretty good.
    Story is here: https://www.seattletimes.com/…/on-ebay-the-worlds-first-el…/
    Hear Randy Hansen, local guitar virtuoso who for 40 years has done a Jimi Hendrix tribute, play "The Star Spangled Banner" on it:

2. That article is pretty cool. I’ve met and talked to Randy at one of his performances before. Really cool dude, though my brother was doing most of the talking.
    It’s also really cool to think that such a rare instrument is located so close to where I live, and was created just a bit farther away.

3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    That’s the first time I’ve actually heard one. Sounds GREAT. VERY impressive. Learn something every day. What’s the story on the pickup? Obviously nothing to see.

dralionux likes this.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Auction ends in less than 15 minutes, wonder if it will spike any higher than the $20k.

EDIT: It shot up almost $4k in the closing seconds. I guess the bass is headed down to Georgia.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    saabfender likes this.
  5. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Perhaps the devil got tired of the fiddle.

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Audiovox 736. There is a huge thread here for the past few years that is constantly resurrected, that shows one of these stripped down so you can see.

bucephylus likes this.
  7. And playing through am Ampeg flip-top!

8. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The Tutmarc sounds really good. I’d rock one. Why didn’t they get an actual bass player to play on the clip?

9. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    Boy that made me laugh, I've got tears in my eyes!!! Its headed to Georgia in 2 weeks

Trouztrouz likes this.
  10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    WOW! Randy Hanson. I actually saw his show at the Roxy in Hollywood (took my girlfriend at the time and got her solidly hooked on Hendrix). Must have been late '70's I believe. The Roxy is pretty small and I was right at stage left so it was in my FACE! I was really blown away by the whole thing. He looked like Jimi, he sang like Jimi and his guitar work was phenomenal...the whole band was just f'in great. He even did the old suspended on a wire and flown off over the audience trick. Man, I was walking on air after it was over. DAMMMMNNN!

PS: luckily I also saw Hendrix (with Cat Mothers and Buddy Miles Express) at Madison Square Garden in early 1969. That is the only ticket stub I have left from back in the day.

saabfender likes this.