Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

On "Good God's Urge"

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Aaren Double J, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Did you use a P or a J bass ?:confused:

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

aaren,

I used a late sixties gibson non-reversed thunderbird II (I put a bartolini preamp in it).

on bass, watt

3. Ohh ...right. Boy , do I look stupid . Ah well .

I just dig the tone you got on that album , I felt it sounded really warm and 'P bassy' .

4. watt

aaren,

please don't worry - I believe most about how a bass sounds from how you play it. the t-bird and the p-bass have their one pickup about in the same place too. both pickups are humbuckers too though the p-bass' is split. then the t-bird is mostly mahogany, oh man - I could go on and on however, perception is nine-tenths of the law, right?

on bass, watt

5. bigbassjay

bigbassjay

Jan 9, 2003
    watt
    I gotta say the 2 tracks you play bass on....is in my opinion, some of the greatest bass playing i have heard, the nuance of the playing on the song "good gods...." is very inspiring, and when it came out....my god, it changed a lot of rules for me.
    Thank you
    J.

6. Yeah , that album was amazing .

100 Ways is soooooo good .

Huh ? another P4P fan ????

7. watt

j.,

very kind of you.

on bass, watt

8. i can attest to this personally - i've gotten watt-like sounds out of my fender j-basses (four-string fretless and custom made five-string, both black with white pickguards [nwo/outsiders colors]) and my white kramer focus ... even unplugged and with the fretless strung with d'addario half-rounds. :bassist:

the fact that some of my favorite warm-up/practice lines happen to be "political nightmare", "big train", "relatin' dudes to jazz", "formal introduction" (etc.) seems to help too. ;)

ceej

9. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I remember learning "Good God's Urge" at my lessons some time ago. What a great bassline! :cool: It's such a great song to play.

10. "good god's urge" is a great record. too bad it is so overlooked.
    i guess the people who "get" it are who you'd expect. it's not ear candy, so...no airplay or MTV glory.
    but **** all that, right?

take care

benton

11. watt

william,

right.

thanks for the generous thoughts.

on bass, watt