On "Good God's Urge"

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Aaren Double J, Jan 29, 2003.

1. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

I used a late sixties gibson non-reversed thunderbird II (I put a bartolini preamp in it).

on bass, watt

2. Ohh ...right. Boy , do I look stupid . Ah well .

I just dig the tone you got on that album , I felt it sounded really warm and 'P bassy' .
  3. watt

please don't worry - I believe most about how a bass sounds from how you play it. the t-bird and the p-bass have their one pickup about in the same place too. both pickups are humbuckers too though the p-bass' is split. then the t-bird is mostly mahogany, oh man - I could go on and on however, perception is nine-tenths of the law, right?

on bass, watt

4. bigbassjay

Jan 9, 2003
    I gotta say the 2 tracks you play bass on....is in my opinion, some of the greatest bass playing i have heard, the nuance of the playing on the song "good gods...." is very inspiring, and when it came out....my god, it changed a lot of rules for me.
    Thank you
  5. Yeah , that album was amazing .

100 Ways is soooooo good .

Huh ? another P4P fan ????
  6. watt

very kind of you.

on bass, watt

7. i can attest to this personally - i've gotten watt-like sounds out of my fender j-basses (four-string fretless and custom made five-string, both black with white pickguards [nwo/outsiders colors]) and my white kramer focus ... even unplugged and with the fretless strung with d'addario half-rounds. :bassist:

the fact that some of my favorite warm-up/practice lines happen to be "political nightmare", "big train", "relatin' dudes to jazz", "formal introduction" (etc.) seems to help too. ;)

8. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I remember learning "Good God's Urge" at my lessons some time ago. What a great bassline! :cool: It's such a great song to play.
  9. "good god's urge" is a great record. too bad it is so overlooked.
    i guess the people who "get" it are who you'd expect. it's not ear candy, so...no airplay or MTV glory.
    but **** all that, right?

take care

10. watt

thanks for the generous thoughts.

on bass, watt