Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

On-Line reading

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Psyrcle, May 16, 2005.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I spend a good amount of my day reading various things but it usually can fall under the categorey of either news or blog. I need some new material that will stimulate my brain instead of turning it into an even more putrid pile of gray matter. Anyone know of a good archive of interesting reading.

2. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

That's nice and all. It will suck up a lunch hour on wednesday. But anything non-bass related. My life does not revolve around the low end quite yet.

3. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    i've got an answer how about read this forum?

4. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    ohh wait you said stimulate your brain nevermind then

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Books. Many of them. But the books may have to be about topics that you have some interest in. I could list many books, but they may bore you.

Being serious about your question, ask someone who knows you well, and knows your tastes. Chances are they've encouraged you to read a book in the past(?).

I also read tons of blogs and newsites, but books add a dimension to a story or an idea that most newsites, blogs, or other typical media don't or simply cannot do.

Good luck.

6. Try Television Without Pity. I've been there frequently over the past week or so reading CSI recaps, but there's stuff for everyone's TV tastes there.

The thing I like about TWoP is that they give a different spin to the episodes, and add a bit of snark to the critique style of writing.

7. the whatthebleep.com site, i actually last week watched the film called what the bleep! It was fantastic! very interesting. It's not what people would think, but it's all about science and quantum physics and such and how it relates to our lives. Very interesting stuff!

8. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

It's great how you guys are helping but I don't watch TV. If I do it's for news or cartoons (and not DBZ or any of that MIJ crap). And for books, I don't know anyone that would know my taste in literature. I have read Poe, Lovecraft, Heinlein, Herbert, Dickinson...man the list goes on. I love horror, sci-fi prose, and philosphy and the such but nothing came out in the past 5 years that really draws me in. I've read the first 3 books of the Dark Tower and they are good just not my thing.

There is a book "Opening Acts Of Unspeakable Evil" or something to that effect but I cant find it on Amazon anymore. It is a tale about some satanic roomate who does an opening act for her roomate's band and every show it gets deeper and darker until **** really goes downhill.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

From the above post, I would suggest the following books:

"Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell"
    "The Master and the Margarita"

10. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    quick hijack....

I've got Jonathan Strange but not read it yet -recommended? It seems like the sort of thing I'd love!

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - I loved it !!

It can seem a bit slow at the beginning, but the reason I recommended it is because it is very literary - all about books in fact, but very funny ...and when it gets going is very scary !!

In a psychological way - not blood and guts or anything like that!

It may be too long for some people, but I didn't want it to stop!! :)

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Some of the recent authors, or subjects, I read:

Jung, Freud, Camus, Bellows, Eggers, Sedaris, Sartre, Skinner, Dostoevsky, and many more. I love reading.

13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Concurage!

Books are good stuff. Makes me want to bring back the "what're you reading" thread...hmmmm.

Most online reading I do are interviews with avant garde/noise/sound art composers and artists. They're very interesting and handy when you consider they're published in zines that have a circulation of 3 people or something.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A short fun read is a book called "Threat" (1983), about a guy that ransoms a New York hi-rise in the post-Vietnam era, but the book is more about about how he does it, that really makes the story. The author's name is Richard Jessup.