Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

On losing a Beloved Pet.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Usul, Dec 6, 2002.

1. My dog and dear companion of 13+ years was hit and killed by a car today.I knew something was amiss when she was not there barking in greeting as I came home from work....The note on my door said "Bill,call mom or dad when you get home."

My blood ran cold as I expected the worse...and it proved true.Someone(P.G.&E.,UPS,etc.?)had left the gate open during the day.This only makes my loss more painfull.Please all you pet owners love and cherish your animals,for their life is all too short and fragile.

R.I.P Cocoa a.k.a. "Merheim" 1989-2002
    Beloved Friend and Pet.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bill, you have my deepest, most sincere sympathies. With four Greyhounds, I fully understand...

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    :(

4. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I lost a pet about a year ago but it had kittens about 5 years ago so I still see a part of my first cat in all of them.Its true though you have to appreciate your pets even if they are a bit of trouble sometimes, when Im sad its like they know it and they all flock around me and give me something to get my mind off of things.:)
    sorry about your loss.:(

5. jappy

jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    i feel so sad for you :(

i couldn't imagine losing my stormy :(

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :(

Bill, sorry to hear of your loss...

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Bummer- I know how you feel. I lost my cat about 5 weeks ago, he was almost like a dog in the way he followed me around.

Sorry for your loss.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    WoW-I feel sorry for you. I couldn't imagine what i'd do or how i'd feel when my cat Gracie passes. She follows me like a dog & once she hears me get home she's there to great me and lay down on my lap. Best Wishes & Sympathy. :(

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm sorry man. When I moved this past summer My cat(as cats aren't generally good movers) ran away...Missing presumed dead, it broke my heart, I loved that cat....samwise....Its so heartbreaking...I don't know what to say. Do endure, loss is painful but you will recover stronger on the other end. :(

10. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Im realy sorry for your loss man, I know the feeling. :(

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Bill, VERY sorry to hear of your loss. It's amazing how an animal can become such a part of our families and lives. When growing up, my family always had a dog (I always loved them and begged till we got one). My parents absolutely refused to let them in the house, and just ran loose since we lived in the country. On 2 separate occasions, I have found the worst. I got my golden retriever 4 years ago, and she has been my best friend ever since, she has been with me through some really tough times....she also lived the single life with me for a while, sharing pizzas with me a few times a week, she is 103 pounds now. 2 weeks ago I found a lump on her and had to take her to the vet, they assumed a cancer possibility, and had to take bloodwork and a biopsy. I went through a week of hell waiting for the results, trying to figure out how in the world I am going to personally deal with the results if it came back positive. Thankfully, everything came back a-ok, and I was assured there is nothing to be concerned of, but the ordeal reminded me just how fragile things in life are, and made me appreciate it even more. A lot of us here understand what you are going through, and we know it is tough. God bless.

12. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Bill, terribly sorry to hear about your loss. sounds like you two were very close and that this is pretty difficult. sometimes, it almost feels like its not worth it, but we're richer by far for the company of our beloved companions.

best wishes.

13. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I know exactly what you feel like. A few years ago, I used to have a beautiful female beagle named Snoopy. She was the most beautiful, elegant, sweet dog I've ever seen. Even though it was so long and I don't remember much specifically, I remember always being around her and playing with her because of the pictures I still have of me and her.

On a damned Tuesday, I had left for school and she escaped from a special pen we had built in the backyard for them (there was one other, a German shepard, awesome dog too, but since we had given away because we couldnt take care of him in that small house.) My grandma had even went outside early in the morning to pound some wooden stakes into the perimeter to prevent them from digging out, which they were infamous of doing on many prior occasions. To no avail, the stakes were useless and she dug out, and out of the wooden fence around the house too. She was hit by a car just outside my house I believe. My elderly neighbor saw the dog and carried her back and left her on my doorstep. The person who hit her had just left her for dead in the middle of the road. Thats what got me angry. My dad picked me up early from school with that ominous tone in his voice that something serious happened. I couldnt help but cry and cry for several days.

Love your pets, but better yet, just enjoy the moments with them because all you have in life is not the physical stuff and items, but the memories. RIP.

14. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    ive grown up with animals all my life...i literally live in a zoo and the list of pets present in this room with me now is too long to list...so i know how you feel.

I dont think im gonna have any when i move out on my own...for this very reason...growing too attatched always ends in a rough break.

hope you begin to feel better soon dude

15. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My deepest sympathies to you Bill,
    I lost my favorite cat Gizmo on xmas day last year to cancer.
    My dog Bear in Oct 00 to Epilepsy:( :( :(

16. Bill,
    Sorry to hear that. Losing a pet is a hard thing to go through.

17. ram936

ram936

May 29, 2002
    Massillon, Ohio
    My sympathies to you, Bill. My friend of 14 years, a beautiful chocolate lab named Shannon succumbed to old age 2 years ago and left a very large void in my life. I buried her under a tree in my backyard where she liked to lay, and each spring I plant flowers on her grave. Recently I became companion to a wonderful puppy named Gibson (after the guitar company, of course) and while he will never replace my memories of Shannon, I'm thankful to have a four legged friend again. The unconditional love and devotion a pet gives is truly a gift from God. My heart goes out to you.

18. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    :( I'm sorry for your loss.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You have my deepest sympathy, Bill. Losing a loved one, whether it be person or pet, is one of the most difficult trials in life.

God bless you.

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my condolences on your loss, usul. that really sucks