1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

On mixing pickup types

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by markanini, Oct 15, 2010.

1. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    I found myself wirting this on an other forum. Maybe someone will enjoy relating to it.

I realize the flaw in my approach for mixing pickup types. I was trying to get a uniform tone in both positions but overshot which compromised the mids.

I tried to get a full low-end full responce out of the bridge position by using a humbucker which ended up making the mids overly dominant. I tried to get an acoustic-like treble out of the neck position by using a single coil which ended up making the treble sound detached from low end. With both on the sound was rather boxy and fizzy with undefined mids.

I think mixing different pickup types is more critical on bass as it's reproduced more hi-fi than guitar. I listened to some clips of Warwicks which had MM bridge and J neck and heard simmilar problems in tone responce like I was getting, although slightly diminished as the neck pickup was closer toward the bridge.
    Not that the tone isnt useful, actually it's a rather cool and unique tone. There's also the P-J combo which is great on funk styles, a bulge in the lows and and snappy highs. But ultimately unique tones give way for versatility.

I certainly have a desire to achive a sort of modern defined tone while beeing able to switch from Rock to jazz to soul to funk etc. I find comfort in the fact that setting up the goal of achive all this in one bass is a futile excersize. It's a deeply educational process though. I find now that the L-filter helps more to achive that kind of versatitlity than mixing and matching pickup types.

Lesson learned: Aim for good mids above all. You can have a unique tone or versatility but not both.

There's one application where I found the humbucker-bridge-single-coil-neck combo shines; Bach cello pieces: http://www.box.net/shared/pu38tz1x1i