Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? on MTD 535

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hman, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi!

I'm new to this site...Cool! Any comments on MTD 535? Good bass for Funk or Jazz? Thanks for your help!

2. HEY
    welcome to talkbass!!!!

as far as i'm aware, by the list of artists who use MTD's, i'd say there great for funk and jazz, i'm sure many will agree, and disagree :)
    the only thing that pisses me off about MTD, is the fact they only have 21 frets, puts me straight off

*Si*

3. You can get one with 24 frets. Somebody here on Talkbass just ordered one in that configuration.

As for the 535...yes! I love mine!

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played one with 24 frets, so I know they exist.

Aside from my Spector, MTD x35's are my favorite basses;)

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Less than 24 frets is seen by some (like me) as preferable if you slap. Not saying you can't slap on a 24 (you can)... you'll have to slap in a different position.

I think someone figured out that this was one of the advantages of the Fender Jazz. Works for me. I don't "need" 24 frets.

MTD's are excellent for Funk and Jazz... and a lot of other styles, too.

6. Yeah, 21 frets, 24 frets, whatever...I just use what's there.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    MTD 535 are good for jazz, funk, rock, polka, headaches, aching feet. ... heck , they're great for evereything!!!
    You can get your 24 frets too!! i agree with Brad- the 21 frets are better slappers- but if you need the 24 frest- you can get them-

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    KONG- we are in the same boat, brother!! no 635 til after NAMM- i want the lacquer , so i have to wait- ill find out more at NAMM- but it looks like early Feb for, hopefully! - we should start a support group for people in the MTD waiting room-

9. MTD's are great and worth the wait!

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Who's waiting?

Bwahhahahhaa!

*sorry :)

Almost forgot...

My 635 worked out great in an impromptu Amish Death metal jam I went to last week at the Playboy Mansion East*. If only I had 23 frets (j/k)

Tastes great, more better.

*In Hoboken.

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    im going- i will ask Mike T - hey Brad!!! - a big raspberry to you!! you and all you s$%&&y Warwicks!!
    i gotz me a FoDeRa to help me wait!!!! :D

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why not? Don't you already have a bass with 25 frets?:eek:

I never compared them side by side, but I remember that the 24 fret model had less neck leftover after the fretboard than the 21 fret model. Due to Mike's unique way of bolting on the neck, it seemed, at quick glance, that there really ISN'T a difference in space between fretboard and neck p/u on the 2 different basses.

13. Hey gimme a break! I just wanted to console KONG. My MTD has been here for awhile.

[​IMG]
    AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    :mad:

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Brad, next time you have one of those gigs, see if you can get me in? I double on 7 string fretless bouzouki-sitar.