1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

On my way to York, Maine

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Mar 18, 2009.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My business travels take me next to York, Maine. I am going to fly into Portland on either the 30th or 31st of March, and fly home on April 3rd. I'll be working during the day at York Hospital. The hotel I chose to stay at is in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

I am really looking forward to this trip since I love American history, and there is plenty of it up there. I plan on driving down the coast as much asd I can from Portland to York.

The other reason I am psyched for this trip is I am going to go to Gloucester, Mass. One of my favorite movies of all time is The Perfect Storm so I am looking forward to seeing where parts of that movie was filmed and pay my respects to Billy, Bobby, and the boys from the Andrea Gail.

The Chicago posse came through with some awesome suggestions on where to eat and what to do. Let's see how you boys up in Maine do on that front. :D

-Mike

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Ok well that depends on what exactly it is that you want to eat and do.

I suggest checking out the Shipyard Brewery (and their assorted products), going to a show if there are any good one's playing (I'm out of state now, so I'll check up and get back to you) and generally checking out Portland's Old Port. There's a couple of really nice record stores in the area: Bullmoose Music and Enterprise Records (which is vinyl only and has bizarre business hours). The Old Port in general feel a little bit like Boston's Newberry Street stretched out for a third of a city.

There's also the Portland Museum of Art, which right now is hosting a really kick ass exhibit called "Backstage Passes," which is a collection of great rock and roll photography. Looks like you're going to miss that, though, 'cause its wrapping up on the 22nd. Regardless, there's a lot of cool artwork in there, and you can get in free on Fridays.

As far as places to eat, I'm not sure what kind of food you're into, so get back to me and I'll get more specific. I will tell you that my favorite restaurant in the area is Federal Spice, located on Federal Street, where you can get some real delicious food for quite cheap. Its run by a cool Jamaican dude and a guy with a couple Futurama characters tattoo'd on his arm. Best Yam fries I've ever had.

When you're in York, well, I don't know much about York, despite working there for a summer, except that the toll between Portland and York is $2.00, and the beach has some great surfing. (you can get around the toll, if you're down for some potentially slow miles).

As far as music stores go, the only place to go, as far as I'm concerned, is Buckdancer's Choice, in St. John's Plaza. This is all in Portland, though, and I have no idea what your schedule is going to look like.

3. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Also, you can check The Bollard for another heads up on Food, as well as live music listings, etc, when it gets a little closer to your date of departure.

http://www.thebollard.com/bollard/

4. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Have at least one Lobster roll for me.

[​IMG]

5. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    OK....cool suggestions. Thanks.

I don't eat seafood. I'm down for about anything else that isn't bizarre. No one has pizza better than Chicago, so I'm not even going to try it while I am up there.

The day I land (Mon or Tue) and the day I leave (Fri) will be spent in Portland. The rest of the time in York during the day and in Portsmouth for the evenings. One evening will be spent in Gloucester.

-Mike

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    do you get frequent flier miles on the vicious amount of pron you order in your hotel room? :D

LOL hahahaha

7. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    No, I'm still waiting for you to explain to me how you are able to do it.

:D

-Mike

8. Come Oonnn! You haven't eaten a good lobster roll until you've had one fresh from the ocean to your plate.

9. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, I am really debating going for it and trying one while I am there. I have never eaten lobster in my life, but I don't like anything else I have tried that comes out of the water.

-Mike

10. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    For what its worth, I think Lobster (and most seafood) is far from delicious.

On the other hand, you might as well try one once.

11. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Great, that's what I figured.

If I'm going to try it once, Maine would be the best place to do so I suppose. It won't be any fresher or better anywhere else. Plus, it will be on my employers dime, so if I don't like it, I can throw it away without feeling like I wasted my money. :)

-Mike

12. Lobster has quite a distinct flavor in my opinion and Lobster and Crab are COMPLETELY different as far as taste goes despite what you may be thinking if you've tried crab before.

I personally like my lobster rolls warmed with butter instead of cold and with mayo. Mayo just takes away from the flavor of the lobster itself.

13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Wow, I never realized just how far away Machias was from Portland.

Damn dude, you and I might as well live in different states. (well, right now, we are, but you know what I mean)

14. With the way I drive, its a good 3 hours. I make the trip quite a bit for live shows of course but its still a long haul.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey man, have a great time while you're out here. The old port in Portland is very cool, and I grew up around Portsmouth. Great little place to visit. Everything shuts down early there so get out on the earlier side. You should be able to find some live music going on around there, and you'll certainly be able to find some good food. Be sure to stop into The Friendly Toast. It's right across from Bull Moose Music. Definitely a one of a kind spot....the food is great and you'll get a lot of it. Don't miss that one. It's a wonderful place to walk around. Hopefully you'll hit some good weather. Also, there's a little street right across from The Friendly Toast. There's a great old theater there that you should peak into. I remember seeing Morphine there years ago. There aren't enough of those old theaters around any more...great place. Let me know if you make it further south than Gloucester. I'm in the Boston area....I can let you know about some great places to eat and see down here as well.

York will most likely be pretty dead still. It really doesn't get hopping until the summer. Get yourself out onto the beach though.....you'll be right on the ocean, which is beautiful any time of year.

Have fun!

16. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Check out a Portland Pirates hockey game and let me know if I have anything to look forward to next year.

17. From a Mainer, here is my best advice. Stay out of the tourist traps. Don't ever buy a lobster in a resturaunt your getting rooked. Buy em off the boat or on the peirs. If your in S. ME, hit the KTP. You can get guns, knives and some of that lame "I been to Maine" toursity crap without having to deal with the snots at L.L. Bean. Shipyard is alright but I say go Gritty McDuffs. If you have some time head West and North and see the real state not the yuppified trendy stuff. Don't go see the Pirates those clowns are affiliated with Buffalo now. (jk, its a good time and the CCCC is a neat old arena). If you are in the York area check out Shapleigh and Acton for some awesome fishing. Sanford has a few cool bars, but the best one, which used to have 5 dollar steak dinners with two huge sides and Guiness on tap, is now closed :(

And for the love of God, if you find yourself in Ogunquit, you need to survey your surroundings carefully before deciding to stay.

18. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    I've spent a week in Portland in the summer. It was foggy the whole time I was there!

19. Get a fresh lobster roll and have some NE clam chowder while you are there. Drive Route 1 for the coastal scenery and check out Portland. Have a safe trip.

Jeff

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D Let me ask Maki to pm you :D