Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

On/Off for preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jul 27, 2005.

1. I may be getting a passive bass in the near future, and i'd want to put an active pre amp in it, but, what i also want to do is have it so it can switch between the active or passive pre, i have a rough idea of what to do, i think

Switched to passive:
    pickups -> pickup selector -> volume -> on/on switch -> tone -> Output

Switched to active:
    pickups -> pickup selector -> volume -> on/on switch -> active pre -> Output

would that be the right place to have the switch ?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    why not keep the tone control in the circuit either way?
    I've played active basses, such as Sadowskys, where a tone control is useful in active mode. The Sadowsky preamp is boost only, so on a bright bass the tone control is the only way to tame the highs.
    Also in general, a tone control has a different sound than cutting treble on a preamp.

3. so stick the switch in after the tone control, and just have the active pre in parallel with a blank (so to speak) wire? , and connecting 2 sets of wires from different sources to the output jack is ok aye ?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    ....or skip the mods and buy a Sadowsky preamp pedal with an on/off switch as well as a mute switch.

6. I have a sansamp pre pedal

I just want a bass with active and passive controls on it, not another pedal