1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

On/off switch

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Barrow, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Mike Barrow

Mike Barrow

Dec 14, 2018
    O have a ibanez bass and it has a pre amp with active pick ups. I keep leaving the thing on and it kills the battery. Could I put an on/off switch on the thing. Batteries aren't cheap.

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes, you can install a on/off switch. The two downsides are that it would require irreversible modification to put the switch in a logical place, and that you will also forget to turn of the switch anyway which brings you back to square one.

Enough money spent on batteries and you will eventually learn to unplug the bass when its not being played.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dude, unplug the dang bass!

4. ^ It's a lot cheaper than installing a switch ...

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If you have to remember to turn off the switch, how is that any different from unplugging the bass?

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Then go to the dollar store. You're gonna kill em anyway.

7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Maybe he could install a rotary timer switch?

8. Mike Barrow

Mike Barrow

Dec 14, 2018
    The batteries from the dollar store don't last very long. I've tried them. I guess I will have to train myself to turn the knobs off. Don't want to mess up my bass.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The knob positions don’t matter. The bass won’t drain power so long as you keep it unplugged when not in use.

10. Mike Barrow

Mike Barrow

Dec 14, 2018
    You are right . I'd forget to turn it off anyway.

DigitalMan likes this.
  11. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    You need to unplug the cable from the jack to kill the battery drain. The cable completes the circuit, even when not in use. A kill switch would have to be killing the circuit for the battery, not the pups or knobs.

Ghastly, gebass6 and Mike Barrow like this.
  12. Mike Barrow

Mike Barrow

Dec 14, 2018

gebass6 and Herrick like this.
  13. Mike Barrow

Mike Barrow

Dec 14, 2018
    Thanks man I didn't know the cable could kill the battery. Going to train myself to pull the cable out and maybe that will work. My guitar uses 9 v. Batteries. They aren't cheap.

mcnach likes this.
  14. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

It is fact, unplug the bass when not in use. That is the off/on switch , on when cable inserted, off when Jack is unoccupied.

DavC likes this.
  15. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Pass the cable through your belt loop, that way you will have to unplug before you leave the bass.

(If you still forget, then repairing a broken headstock from pulling the bass over when you leave will make batteries seem cheaper ;) )

16. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    You are talking about active pickups or active electronics, because there are no active/passive pickups. The solution is to not keeping connected all the time.

17. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Buy rechargeable batteries.

18. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    I tried a on/off switch one time. I wanted to flip it off during breaks between sets (called a Sermon in the place where I regularly gig :) ) but found that it made a big POP in the PA system so I took it out. No benefit.

Solution is simple. Step on floor tuner to mute the bass, pull the plug. After the sermon, plug the bass back in and un-mute.

At home I always put the bass back in its case in the closet.

Leo Smith, gebass6 and jackn1202 like this.
  19. Rhythmman535

Rhythmman535 Supporting Member

May 9, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    You could also replace the volume potentiometer with one with a push/pull switch where the switch is wired in series with the battery. No modifications to the instrument.

20. After playing two passive Fenders exclusively, I finally decided to invest in an active 5-string last April.

One thing I had to train myself to do is to unplug the cable when the bass is not in use. My first battery lasted about six months.

gebass6 likes this.