1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

on-off volume pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by betardfoosier, May 31, 2011.

1. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    I installed dp123s in my mim jazz this week, and wired up cts (fender) 250k pots, and a 47 capacitor on my tone pot. I wired it the way the seymour duncan site said, and the volume pots go from off to half volume immediately, then from there it's a very slight climb to full volume. What could cause that? Also when my tone pot moves from treble to low, the volume goes down.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's what jazz basses do (maybe you weren't looking hard at it before). the audio taper volumes drop off too fast from "10".

replace both volume pots with linear tapers and the sweep will be much more even, making blending easier.

as for the tone pot's weird interaction, that's the price for having two volumes, it requires the tone to be wired "after" the volumes, not "before" like a P-bass. (look up "gibson '50s wiring" for how guitar players deal with it.)

that's a key (and often overlooked) reason why vol/blend/tone setups have the advantage; the tone will act the same no matter where the volume is set (and vice-versa).

3. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    I had the same problem. With mine, it was one of the wires shorting out on the bottom of the pickup. Pull out the pickup an make sure none of the wires are underneath it.

4. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you're talking about the sound cutting in and out by itself, right?

this is a different issue, where the volume knob drops off really fast from "10", acting kinda like an on-off switch.

(to the OP) one other trick some old-school jazz bass guys use is to run all the knobs down a little. this of course loses output, but it takes all three knobs out of the "jumpy" zone, so adjustments are smother.

5. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    No, I'm talking about the same problem the OP was having. If you read his post, his problem starts AFTER he installed new pickups. The issue is not "what jazz basses do". I own two and they don't exhibit the issue the OP is talking about. Except when there's a wire touching the bottom of the pickup.

6. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    No, the signal is not cutting out, its that my volume pots are acting as an on-off switch, rather than a dimmer. When i go from 1 to 0, it sounds more like its going instantly from 7 to zero. Then from 1 to 10, it sounds more like I'm going from 7 to 10.

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Replace them with linear pots.

8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    wait, the sound is jumping up from "0" too fast?

my bad, that's not what i was thinking of at all! typical fender audio taper pots do the opposite, drop off fast from "10". if you really do have audio pots, linears in your situation would make it worse.

i'm at a loss here; is the bass wired normally? are you using a bunch of compression or even overdrive in your bass tone?