Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

On request: SUBurban LoW

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suburban, May 31, 2004.

1. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Some folks seem to be interested in how this thing looks, so don't kill the messenger! :bag:
    [​IMG]
    the specs:
    6-string, F#-B-E-A-D-G
    Neck: 870mm scale, three laminates of quartersawn birch (parallel to fingerboard), through body.
    String spacing 8mm@nut, 17,5mm@bridge.
    Fingerboard: 24 position avenbok/hornbeam with nut made of compressed and sealed oak.
    Body: 3piece alder core, birch burl (masur) top, birch back.
    Mechanics: SUBurban
    Electronics: LightWave Systems

Oh, and for JP, the heel:
    [​IMG]
    :D

There are a few more on my gear page

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    :D

Very Nice Sub!!

cool stuff you've got here. What is the string puller made of? you milled it yourself?

Peace,
    JP

3. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Sweet bass! :)
    I'd love to have one like that. :D

4. Sub, you and I have been around here for a long time and just now you're showing us this work??!! I'm speechless. That is an absolutely drop dead cool take on the headless style. :cool:

Lemme guess on the tailpiece - UHMW? - slicker than greased owl manure.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Very cool. I like headless basses with a normal sized body though.

Still very cool. Keep up the good work.

6. So is that a one-off, just for yourself, or is what we see the beginning of a beautiful luthier career?

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I love it!!!!!!!

Very cool!

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Very cool.

I always thought the upper horn could be a good place for knobs.

Nice that you have masur birch available to you, I understand that it's Scandinavian or Russian, right?

Nice concealed head-end string anchorage.

Same question, different guess- is that tailpiece made of of white acetal (Delrin)? I'm guessing not UHMW-PE since its properties are not that good.

How's that fretless low B sound?

9. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I really like the heel.

10. I'm more interested in how the F# sounds. "Feels" would probably be more accurate.

11. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    :oops:
    Thanks, guys, I'm blushing all over....

Well, some answers, to start form the top:

The tuner is aluminium, my design, not my make. The guy who made them specifically asked me not to come back...?? Too much inactive time in the machine.
    Ham, what is "UHMW"?

The upper string anchorage is also my design, though it is vary inspired by Matt Zimmerman (Acacia).

I will probably not be a "great luthier". I don't have that much money... :rollno: And it's way too messy to export to the big market (US). This item is a 1ofakind, there will be no more of this. Right now, I'm working on a travel bass, a 30" "broom", and then I'll go for the SUBurban bass. Then I have some ideas around a guitar-bass combo and possibly an ordinary guitar. Guys, I have so many ideas, and so little time!

Masur is fairly common in Finland and Russia, and can be found in Sweden and Estonia.

Sound is great! Dispite that I messed up the tone controls, somehow, so the bass is just now in Carpinteria for repair. Probably the problem has something to do with the positioning of controls. With the card just above the neck, the cables are lead through channels through the neck and up to the horn, so I had to extend the cables. And probably messed up (I would not say that LW are bad, but a whole lot of cable routing, that it is!).
    The low F# sounds good, and has a nice feel. But it is way too heavy for the LW monolith! They are made for gauges less than .135, make a note of that! My Snakeskin .150 needs to be plucked ortogonally to the board, otherwise it hits the LED/LCD. Inconvenient, but I'll live with that.

Thanks again for all the nice, and highly valued, compliments! (Keep'em coming! :smug: :D )

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Eww, dude. I don't like it. The shape does weird things to my brain. I do like everything else though, except for the heel, knob placement, and plywood look. Ok, so maybe I don't find much exciting here. Sorry.

But kudos on making a bass! That's something I'd love to attempt someday, but I would need some tools, a workshop, and some talent first. Do you have the piezos in there? How's the lightwave handle those extra low strings?

13. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    "Plywood look"???? :mad: :mad: :scowl:

You don't like the look of the best instrument wood in the world (birch), do you? Well, I can tell you, it's not the prettiest in the world. Kind of grey. And I did have to make some extra laminates for the back, due to bad wood supply.
    But it is good!
    Some basic tools are needed. Workshop is not needed. I don't have any. Kitchen, hallway and bedroom had to do, and it did. My wife didin't like the dust production and noice, though...
    LW's have some piezo addition to the sound, and carries the low F# well, but as stated earlier, it's not built for heavier than .135" strings.

14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Beautiful work mate!

15. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I never liked the headless steinberger look, but somehow yours seems to be a totally different animal to me... its beautiful!! :D

Stuff that went through my mind when I saw the pics
    1) There's something about the shape that makes it very pleasant to the eye... it's got a very comfortable feel/look to it.
    2) Controls on the bass-side horn is quite a good idea (though it's a wiring nightmare... esp if you use a LW system :eek: )
    3) It has a beautiful burl top :)
    4) It has a beautiful heel :)
    5) It's a fretless with no markers!! :eek: It'll be years before I'd be able to play something like that in tune...
    6) Not that it's ugly or anything, but I thougt the back of the bass looked slightly like the desk from Ikea that I'm using :p

It's a great looking bass, congrats!! - I'd love to build my own some day too :)

16. Metallideth

Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    beautiful bass :hyper:

17. Mate!!

Thats real nice man. Personally I would've gone for a tad rounder with the upper 'not-a-horn' (I dunno what you call it when there's no cutaway) but thats just me.

I'm guessing UHME-PE is Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthene. Really long chains from the ethene monomer units, made using Grignard catalysts (maybe...). Hmm chemistry...

I'll agree the wood doesn't give it exactly a boutique look but if you're vouching for it, thats all I need.

Very nice.

Josh D

18. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Thanks, all of you - I think :meh: :D

Rusty,
    1) It is comfortable. Even Keith at LW says so!
    2) Yes, and yes... Had to extend all cables, which is not fun.
    5) Has markers! A beech ply, across the edge and down some ten mm on the front. Above 12th, also one from the bottom. Per fret position, that is.
    6) [lowfreq mumblin' noice] :eyebrow:

Daveze, I agree on the rounder upper horn. Normally I prefer more guitarish rounds, but this is, and was never intented to be, a "normal" bass.
    This is the SUBurban LoW! :smug:

19. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    It does?? Oh well, I guess it doesn't show in the pics - either that or I'm going blind :p Anyways, it'll still be years before I can play something like that in tune :D

I think it's great that you've built a one-off for yourself. :bassist: Kudos to you fellow bassist :bassist:
    That's something I will to do in my lifetime :D

20. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yes, DO !!!
    Every basist should :bassist: