1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

On Song and other solutions to better organize and perform charts/setlists

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jamesh, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. On Song

2. BandHelper

3. ForScore

4. MobileSheets Pro

5. Setlist Maker

6. Setlists by Bombing Brain

7. iReal Pro

8. iBooks (PDF's of Charts/setlists)

9. Other application

10. Nothing - I am searching for the the best app for metal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jamesh

jamesh

Feb 28, 2015
    Hello TB!

Please post or PM your experiences with On Song or any other solutions to better organize and perform charts and setlists for a five piece band.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    You'll get plenty of solutions offered here.. as much of it seems to be personal preference.
    I only keep my old iPAD-2 around because OnSong runs ONLY on iOS and they do not plan to port it to Andriod.
    I have the web interface, so adding/editing songs (OnSong, text or chordpro formats) is a breeze from my PC. Don't need to use the iPad except for performance.
    I use it more of a learning tool (and repository) than for performance.. tho' it has had is uses. You can sync multiple devices, control via bluetooth f/switch, trigger MIDI sequences and run the vid out to external monitors on the stage (great for vocalists).. if you so desire
    I've tried many of the others, but OnSong (for me) is the best one..
    YMMV as others will point out.

PS: I have ZERO affiliation with OnSong.

BluesOnBass likes this.
  3. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    +1 for OnSong, good set list management. Also on iPad2

BluesOnBass likes this.
  4. Are you just after iOS apps? I use MobileSheets on an Android tablet and love it (I keep an Android tablet just for this app). I haven't tried OnSong but have friends who think it is awesome, so if I was putting a music management program on my iPad, that's the one I would try first

kohanmike likes this.
  5. Setlists by Bombing Brain (iOS) is my go-to. Downside, doesn't support scanned/digital charts. Upsides - song catalog that can feed limitless setlists. Songs are stored as text so you can format each song in any way you like. It's got a teleprompter mode you can see a mile away on stage. Many tablets can be slaved to a master tablet; control at the master tablet. Comaptible with bluetooth page turning footswitches.

6. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Another Mobilesheets user here. No direct OnSong experience, but appears to be the most popular for iOS. Both have pretty good feature sets.

7. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    SetList Helper on Android here. I wanted a program that would run on one of those inexpensive 13" tablets (aka NOT an Ipad...) whose display area is very close to an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. It will take ChordPro files, but I have always had formatting issues with them. I import PDF files from Word or Musescore for display. That way I can optimize the display as if it was a single sheet of paper. No on-the-fly transposing, but in the large group I am in, all key-related changes to songs are dealt with well before getting on stage.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    We've used OnSong for 4 years.

It's perfect.

BluesOnBass likes this.
  9. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Been using Setlist Maker for the past 3 years. I can attach sheet music to it and compatible with my bluetooth page turner.

10. Robb Fesig

Robb Fesig

Mar 14, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Band Helper (www.bandhelper.com). (Same company that released SetListMaker)

1. PC/Android/iDevice
    2. Up to 5 users for 5 bucks a month
    3. MIDI In/Out for Android/iDevice
    4. Setlists, Lyrics, Chord Charts, Recordings all available to all band members instantly

I run the BandHelper on my iPad and iPhone to manage backing tracks (start/stop). It works beautifully.
    I'm not affiliated with Band Helper in any way. If you have questions, send me a PM.

11. Another satisfied MobileSheets user.

12. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Setlist Maker here. Just running it on a $150 Samsung Galaxy 8" tablet, along with an Irig BlueTurn pedal. I just upload PDFs of the songs and format setlists for various shows. Works fantastic and I haven't missed the music stand and book yet!

13. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Regardless of the app used, seeing an iPad or other tablet on stage is so much cleaner.

I don't miss the days of stands and binders, and seeing a BL fumble through, looking for a specific chart!

G Aichele and joppo like this.
  14. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    I have used OnSong for some church gigs, and it seems perfect if you have a "musical director" type that makes the lists and is in charge of the show. However, for most of my gigs I prefer to make my own set list, browse/peek and change pages in the music myself. I also play in several different bands, in many cases playing the same standards, and I like to keep my annotations in all.

That said, try a couple of different apps (keeping in mind that some are only available for iOS or Android). Personally I love Fakebook Pro (which happens to import OnSong music, which solved my church gig problem), even though it is Android only.

15. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I used both OnSong and ForScore on an iPad 3, but the screen was just not big enough for reading lead sheets for me. I knew the iPad Pro was coming out, but also knew it would be expensive. So I decided to see what Android music app was available and found MobileSheets Pro. To me it was even better than OnSong or ForScore. I then found a 13.3" Android tablet on Amazon for $120. All my friends were shocked that as a 30 year Apple fanboy, I went with an Android, but I only use it for music sheets because for everything else the iPad is better.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Groove Doctor and joppo like this.
  16. musicman7722

musicman7722 Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2007
    York, ME US of A
    Onsonf for my band but we haven't tried anything else. i read that you could set up and run your lights with OnSong but have't gone any further to research that.

17. vsmith1

vsmith1

Sep 18, 2009
    I use OnSong with an iPad 2. I like the autoscrolling.

18. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Agree 100%. What I really don't miss is reorganizing my book every time for each show as we changed set lists. It is so much faster to add songs and change the order with a tablet. Also a heck of a lot easier to haul a small tablet and stand mount than a music stand and book!

tfer likes this.
  19. Yes, this is a big advantage.
    I'm using BandHelper.
    Before every show, the BL goes online to the BandHelper website, and makes a new setlist using the show's location and date as a title.
    Then, each bandmate just opens the BH app on their android/ipad and it auto-updates, and presto, the new setlist appears.
    It also autoscrolls if you want.
    I also have it set up to control my XR18's FX selections, vocal boosts/cuts, FX mutes etc all using the raw midi sends, on a per-song basis. Really takes a lot of work load off for a band that has no sound man (me).

John Pomeroy and MakoMan like this.
  20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm new to using setlists on my ipad, and need to jump onboard with one of these. Our setlists are made up 5 minutes before we play, and the simplest thing for me to do has been to just open the email up and go off of that. Now, however, I'm starting to need notes for songs - so I have to up my game.

Might I ask which of the above mentioned you guys think is simplest and most user friendly? I'd need to be able to transfer setlists from emails to the app, and put my own weird notes on each song (might be as simple as, "drop D, come in after 8 measures), or something like that.

Suggestions are appreciated.