1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

On the fence Fender Rumble 200 / Peavey MAX 250

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blick_Fang, Aug 2, 2019.

1. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    +2 on the Rumble 500 Great sounding amp and easy to move around...plus if you wanted to get another 210 cab for slightly bigger stuff, then that is a great option.

Blick_Fang, Tad and alanloomis1980 like this.
  2. BlitzCraig

BlitzCraig

Sep 28, 2018
    AAAGGGHHHHHH!!! I was on vacation out there last week and I'm looking for a 100 or 200 lol... Bad timing I guess

wncBass and alanloomis1980 like this.
  3. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I started playing bass as the first wagon trains hit California. My vote is for the Rumble 200c with the 15” speaker. Great sounding! Especially with a P bass! I also play my Les Paul through it with an overdrive pedal (Boss). I crank the od on the rumble and add the pedal to taste! I am able to get very pleasurable tone dripping with pinch harmonics. I play a lot of ZZ Top! Good luck on your search!:thumbsup:

G-Dog, Linnin, Tad and 1 other person like this.
  4. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I have the Rumble 200, and I have no complaints at all. It sounds good to me and it's loud. If I had it to do over again, I might get the 500 for a little more headroom, but as it is, I'm in no rush to replace the 200.

5. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    A few years ago, I decided to go shopping for an amp which was somewhat easy to carry around. I was pretty sure I would end up with a Peavey. I think they had an 80 watt model at that time. However, after trying several of them, I ended up with a Rumble 75. Then, I sold my old 1970s Peavey Bass series amp & cab for enough money to buy a Rumble 200 which is even lighter than the Rumble 75. If I were in the market today, I would still check out the new generation of Peaveys, but for now I'm more than happy with the Rumble 200.

6. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    First for small bars/clubs, 150 people or less, you’ll never need more than a 2x10 or 1x15, so the extension cab isn’t really a factor IMO. At the top of your budget is the Rumble 500c and the Hartke HD500. Between those I would choose the Hartke. It is cleaner/less boomy, has far more usable tone settings with the controls available, and it puts the full 500 Watts to the two 10’s, where as the Rumble would have to have a extension cab to reach its full 500 watts.

Blick_Fang likes this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yep. Perfect for someone who plays a P bass and does not slap.

I'd go GK all the way here just on the upgrade in quality and the fact they are made in the USA.

8. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    alanloomis1980 likes this.
  9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'd get the rumble. light weight, great tone, good features. and it looks classic - in person, the peavey looks like an small appliance to me, YMMV.

10. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I have a 200c. Nice little combo. Good value, fair quality, and decent tones available. It ain't no Mesa through a Barefaced cab, but I wouldn't be ashamed to bring it to a gig if I required more of an old-school sound.

11. MatchFive

MatchFive Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2019
    You can't go wrong with a Fender Rumble, but you also might want to consider a Hartke HD500 combo as well...

Kipp Harrington likes this.
  12. I have the Rumble 200C. It’s a great amp with my P basses or any of my basses.
    It does everything I need.
    If I had the extra cash I would spring for the 500C.

13. The Hartke 115 Kickback combo is a great amp also.

MatchFive likes this.
  14. How much does the Max 250 weigh? All I can find on it is a “shipping” weight of 53 pounds. I’m guessing it’s probably around 50... yikes! The Rumble 500C is under 35!

EatS1stBassist and pcake like this.
  15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I have never played through a Fender or Peavey amp that I liked. I found that they lacked clarity and were very muddy sounding. If you're looking for something inexpensive that sounds good, look at a Hartke or GK combo.

16. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Fender Rumble. Crazy light. The tone makes you have to look twice for its weight, ESPECIALLY for the price!!! They have such a balanced, all round great tone. Cheapest, lightest best sounding all round bass amp. Best value. Extremely hard to go wrong.

Seriously, get one, and you can thank me later!

If u want, check out the Fender Rumble club here on TB too. Anything and everything rumble related. If u ever have questions, the rumble club is the one stop shop.

G-Dog, Blick_Fang and EatS1stBassist like this.
  17. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I just played that and the Rumble 500. Nice combo but if you need cleans at volume, either did not do it for me. Same with the Elf that I almost bought (it's on-sale at GC) that I really wanted. But, it get volume, one needs to get past 12 on both gain and volume, but the distortion and compression kicks in. Nothing you can do about it for the Elf.

I need clean for venue about 300 max capacity.

Either sound would work for cover and rock bands though, and do quite well. So would the Mesa Subway, but these cannot get volume without coloring the sound too much for me.

So now I'm thinking of Genzler, but so far, I don't like their sound of the drive section. I need to try one in person, but I don't believe there's a stocking dealer near me.

The best sounding drive section I played so far is Darkglass 900, but that price.

18. Blick_Fang

Blick_Fang

Aug 2, 2019
    Hi all

Thanks for your time and input. As they go into the home stretch, it's the 200 and 500; neck and neck. I think one 15 with a switchable horn will have a slightly more desirable sound then 2 10's

19. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

I used to always own and prefer 15" speakers until hearing the Rumble 500 with it's 2x10". I couldn't believe it! Even now, after nearly 5 years it sounds very close to my newer Bassman 115 neo, which I occasionally use as an extension cab with it.

I've always been glad I got the 500. It turns down nicely, while the overdrive keeps the warmth, or grind, going. I've still got an older workhorse Bassman 250/115 combo that just barely kept up with some of my loud bands and, though I could daisy-chain them together, the 500 has usually been plenty alone, only a couple times needing the extension for the extra power and SPL.

You should be able to do a comparison at a GC or similar place to judge for yourself. Good luck, and . . . Rumble On!

EatS1stBassist and JCooper like this.
  20. JCooper

JCooper Shen Qi Jing He Yi Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Vermont
    FWIW, I played through both the 500c and 200c side by side when I was shopping several months ago, I liked them both. ( I used to own the 500H and ran it through a Bag End sd-15 and it sounded great.)
    Went with the 200 and I love it, my jazz sounds so happy coming through it!

So yeah.....rumble says I.

EatS1stBassist, G-Dog and Linnin like this.