Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

On the hunt.... ACME and Accugroove comparisons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jul 28, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Obviously I am looking for input on cabs that are fairly flat and powerful. In my reading and questions I am finding those cabs that are considered flat.

How do the Acme cabs stack up in the FLAT, Powerful (excellant throw) and huge sound?

I hear that Berg's ar fairly flat, EA's very flat, Accugroove very flat and huge sounding.

Just looking for more real world information from those who have used and compared them.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Now you are getting down to a very close comparison, tonally. For instance, my Accugroove Tri 210L and my ACME Low B-2II probably sound more alike than any other two non-same-brand cabs that I own. Both are very full, thick and deep sounding, and both are a tad polite on the high end. The Low B-2II was a bit more clear, overall. Here is a snippet from my 2x10 shootout on my blog:

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    New I could count on you man. I read your blog shootout the other night which sparked the question about Acme and Accugroove.

My first thoughts are to have an El Whappo as my large rig, a T112 as my samml rig and of course direct rig for, well, direct only.

But am curious about the Acme's. The prices are nice too on the Acmes. But that isn;t the most important thing.

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You are right up there with the best of the best, at this point, IMHO.

ACME's are a definite bargain, but they like a lot of headroom.

5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

i have power for days

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    awesome stuff, tom... :bassist:

7. Dammit Mike.... when R ya actually gonna BUY something???? (or get your endorsements, whatever). :D

I've written on this in the past, but I'll save you a search by laboriously typing it all in again. I was using two Acme Low B2 cabs and later added two more (total four). Tonally they are very close to the AccuGroove cabinets, and in case you got the impression from my previous posts that the El Whappo lacked punch I didn't miss it when I moved from the four Acmes (that's total 8x10). Please note that for small club dates I'm still happily using two B2 cabinets (stacked vertically) with a Fafner or DB750.

The main issues I had with the Acmes related to power and projection. Where power is concerned, I found I needed to push them hard to fill a large room with no PA support. The recommended number seems to be 750 watts per B2 or 1500 for a pair. But there is also a very fine line between good volume levels and managing to crease the cones. When you get into this power range, you can only slap very judiciously. Where projection is concerned, I also found that the great sound I had near FOH wasn't getting out into the room the way I wanted. Moving to the El Whappo gave me the freedom to slap whenever and wherever, and brought the sound I was hearing on the stage out to the audience. No worries about blowing lightbulbs (AG has self-resetting breakers that I have yet to engage).

At this point it's worth mentioning that you get more than 8x10"s with two pairs of B2s. You also get four 6" mids and four of those sweet tweeters. That's serious high end response... something that I'm sure would surprise Ken (KJung) and bring a very big smile to his face! Running four means two per side stereo at about 1500 watts/side. Smooth response across the entire range and has the makings of a nice portable, modular rig.

Overall, I still prefer a single El Whappo.

8. Man... I'm not worthy!!!! Four B2's and thousands of watts... four mids, four tweeters.... I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight! :bassist:

Seriously... I think I just never had enough power to do the Acme's justice. I had my Walter Ultra going into two of the 8ohm B210II's... so it was 1200 watts... but it wasn't 1200 big, analog watts. I found the same thing as Oddio... they sounded very good (actually wonderful) near field, but kind of fell off out in the audience... but four of those baby's and a ton of big old analog watts... that's probably a totally different story.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You know, the ACME Low B-2 is one cab that I definitely prefer my iAMP 800 over my WWU. I have two 4 ohm Low B-2II's (and I obviously only use one at a time with the Walter Woods), and even though the Woods has more power than the iAMP (1,200w versus 800w), I think the big toroidal transformer in the iAMP 800 helps it to provide the thick, tight, low end whallop that the ACME's need.

10. I kind of wish I had owned those two Acme's when I had the iAmp800... I think that might have been the bomb... bad timing on my part :bawl:

11. Limited experience with the WWU here, but I think Tom's comments are right on the money. One of the best sounds that I've EVER heard was running all four cabinets with TWO DB750's for a large outdoor gig (My Acmes are also 4ohms each).

I'm pretty certain that this is also when my cone-creasing adventure started (DB750 has no 30Hz filter like on the PLX). It only took a little bit of slappin' on "Skin It Back" with my punchy Wal and it was game over, I guess.

12. Two 750's!!!! Running at 2ohms..... OK... I need to log off for a while and cool down! :D Must have been the 'Voice of You Know Who....'

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    If the El Whappo gives you what 4 Acme's did then all I can say is GAME OVER!

LOL I am going to check out the Whappo in the next few weeks. I am in no hurry because I am tied up writing music for the next few months and also writing and working on a couple shows I am pitching to a few "places" in February/March.

Playing live is going to be rare for a while so no real rush.

I'd also like to try the ACME's, EA's and Berg's at the same time but that is probably not going to be possible.

14. Being totally realistic, it's not snake oil here... but we ARE talking:

AccuGroove El Whappo: 1x15" + 1x12" + 1x6" +2 tweeters
    - versus -
    four Acme LowB2-II: 8x10" + 4x6" + 4 tweeters.

The single AccuGroove El Whappo does not require the same massive power, projects better and is tonally "invisible". Slapping, popping and percussive punchy basses are safe to use. As mentioned there are no lightbulbs to blow, impedance is selectable and it's a single cabinet to load in & out. For me it's the winner on a lot of levels.

The four Acmes need BIG power, do not take well to slapping, popping or particularly punchy 5-strings and lack the projection of the AccuGrooves. Still, they sound very similar... with a smooth even sound from the highest to the lowest note on the fretboard. The Acme has more high end and high mids (obviously). One pair (2 cabs) of B2s will not break the bank, but two pairs is approaching the same price range as an El Whappo. For lazy gigs I will take one or two Acmes with a light amp and still manage to please the ears in the audience and at the soundboard.

PS - Sorry Big Mike... I couldn't resist that comment. :)

15. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Another difference is porting. On the Acmes you have rear ports, Accugrooves are front ported. This has to factor into the difference in projection capability. I've had both and second everything oddio stated so eloquently. Accugroove was the winner for me.

16. Someone mentioned that the Acmes have problems if you slap. I thought I was the only one that noticed this. It's really bothering me lately, and I feel like I have to hold back for fear of creasing a cone or tripping a circuit breaker. I LOVE the tone, don't get me wrong, but IMO it's pretty lame when the cab you use keeps you from being able to utilize a full palette of techniques. There's also the fact that the Acmes seem kind of... slow. In comparison to my Avatar 2x10, that is. The sound just kind of jumps out of the Avatar faster than the Acme, as though there were some kind of barely perceivable delay present with the Low B4. :meh:

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh CRAP, now you gone and done it!

NOTHING, and i mean NOTHING can compare to the authority of my iAMP-800 into my B-4. no matter what incarnations of my current rig is, i always seem to be coming back to that rig time and again. when i can get away with the awesomely, fat, burly, smooth, chocolately taste of that combo, i dive in headfirst.

18. So you don't find your amp's clip lights engaging when you slap? If I pop the strings with my setup, both of my QSC RMX 1850HD's clip indicators light right up.

19. Interesting. My band isn't really that loud either, at least not as loud as some I've been in. The strangest thing is that I still get the clip lights even at low volume levels. I'm running a preamp with a pretty hot output (a BBE BMax), so maybe it's a gain level issue or something.

20. That's a scenario where a little bit of compression might help you out. If the clip indicators are telling the real story, then you're certainly getting up into that range with the fast transients. A little bit of compression would pull the levels down enough that you shouldn't have to worry.