1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

On the market for an amp and cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Hey everybody,
    My band recently started playing shows on the regular and my rig is not cutting it. I have a 60 watt Peavey combo amp that gets plugged directly into the PA at every show. I play a 5 string Stingray in an Alternative Pop Rock band, if I had to label it, and am looking for a nice amp and cabinet to go with my stingray. I'm not very educated on amps and electronics and really don't know where to start. My budget is anywhere from 600-900 dollars and I am willing to buy used. I'm looking for good quality durable gear that will last me a good while. I don't need insane amounts of wattage for we don't play huge venues at this point. Does anybody have any recommendations on what I should be looking at? Thank you all for your time and help.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Start with crsigslist and try to get at least 200 watts.

3. MarcusPocus

MarcusPocus

Aug 28, 2008
    Allen, Tx
    900 will get you some nice gear. Check the TB classifieds. I just picked up a early 70s ampeg V4 and paired it with an ampeg 115 cab for less than your budget. The amp is 40 years old. How's that for longevity? Sounds awesome. I play a P through it. A ray would be killer.

Oh the rig weighs a ton. It makes most everything I have played up till this point sound like toys.

4. Go for tens, more punch than 15's in most cases. Peavey is good stuff to go with, I've got a 500 watt head and a 4x10 cab used for less than $500. Just make sure your willing to lug all that weight. And just because your not playing large venues doesn't mean you might not play outside. When you play an outside gig it really tests your rig because the bass gets lost in the mix if you don't have enough power or speakers to push enough air.

5. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    Gallien-Kreuger has decent entry-level amps/cabs that seem to be a pretty good value for the money. Ampeg B2-RE head plus cab would fit in your range as well (I think they sell that amp with a 4x10 cab on Musicians Friend for just shy of 1000). Maybe try looking into SWR also...if you can play on the gear before you buy, this is ideal :)

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Buy used, look for at least 300 watts, and either a 4x10 or 2x12, as bare bones minimums. Plenty of good stuff within your budget, but make sure you try out several before buying. They all sound different, use your ears.

7. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    ^This is a really good point. I've been in that situation where my amp just didn't have enough to cut through...everyone was telling me to turn up but I just couldn't get enough volume.

8. Anybody have anything to say about the Line 6 LowDown HD400 400W. Price is very reasonable on musicians friend

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020