Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

on the matter of cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by air_leech, Mar 26, 2002.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey all,

I wonder, whats the actual physical difference between regular instrument cables and speaker cables?

if I want to fashion a speaker cable all by myself, what cable do I need to pick up at (say) Radio Shack as opposed to making an instrument cable?

2. I made my speaker cables with Radio Shacks speaker wire that looks like monster cable,clear coating over the copper wire.They had it on a spool and sold it by the foot.The cable I got was #12 gauge oxegen free copper.Then I got some phone jacks with oversized barrels(the # 12 cable is too large to fit in standard phone jacks)and soldered the cables on.Then I got some shrink wrap tubing and cut a piece 3" long and shrunk it over the barrel onto the cable.You can also do this with 14 gauge wire and then use standard phone plugs,but I wouldn't go any smaller than # 14 wire.You don't need shielded cable,standard speaker wire is fine.If you are good at soldering and have time on your hands this is pretty easy,but there are lots of pre made speaker cables that sell for decent prices.
    good luck

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Instrument cables are shielded, speaker cables are not. Speaker cables have thicker wire too. 4 mm² cable îs what I use.

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Dear Will & Jeff,

Happy anniversary! I got you something I just know you'll love... a cable thread!

Best wishes,

Yawnsie.

Yes, this is just my smart-arse way of saying that I'm moving the thread to Miscellaneous, because I think that's where it'll get more responses. Do you realise just how completely and utterly soul-destroying it is to write "moved" OVER and OVER again? Well, DO YOU?!?

5. what about right angle plugs. i wonder cuz at this place american music, where i gig at sometimes, the sound ppl are not verysmart and break stuff all the time. and i dont like how far the cable sticks out from the jack. could i just put right angle connectors on them or would somin be wrong, i think it would, but i never see them marketed so i am worried

6. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    Sorry Yawnsie, my bad, I thought speaker cables would be fine in the Amps forum.

JMX, would the same wire used for home stereo speaker connection be good for musical instrument amplifiers too (of course, soldered to the right 1/4" connectors) or are they too thin to handle 200W+?

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can use it, unless it's just telephone wire.
    But it may be not sturdy enough for stage abuse.
    Get Pro speaker cable. You only need 1-2 meters and I don't think it's more expensive than HiFi speaker cable, which is mostly way overpriced.