1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

On the quest for good tone!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeralya, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Ok so here is the lowdown. My current rig is a '71 P-Bass and Warwick Corvette Fretless (Passive) through a Hartke 3500 into an Avatar 4x10. I am currently looking for a new power setup in the 500-600 dollar range, because the Hartke just isn't cutting it for my tonal needs.

I am trying to get a semi-vintage tone, keeping it round while having the ability to make it a little more modern and grittier. I am unsure where I am going to get the best deals- a power/pre setup or a nicer head. I prefer something simplistic without tons of EQ shaping (though I can do it,) and pretty much always buy used.

Any advice on which way to go or a setup to run through would be appreciated. I was thinking maybe a Carvin power amp with some sort of tube pre, or maybe one of the lower level Eden Time Travellers. Power is nice, but I can live with anything over 300 watts.

Thanks,
    Remsy

2. Ampeg have a nice 'vintage to modern' tone ability, IMHO- the transistor B2RE/ SVT3PRO hybrid or others=good amps!
    Up 2 U & what tone U personally like.

3. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I should also point out that I need a setup that can handle 2 ohms, and would prefer a transient power amp if running a pre-power setup. To sepcify, what are some reasonable and good tube preamps?