Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

On the radio.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Infamous Bax, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Kind of reminds me of Danzig which is a compliment because I was a big fan of that band. It also reminded me somewhat of Type-O-Negative without the organ.

Are you playing only the bass or did you record the entire album by yourself? Are you the singer?

OK, I checked your web site and it does appear you played all instruments, wrote the music and did the vocals. It is quite an achievement to have radio play for your song. Good luck. Maybe you can get a band together and do some gigs. You might be very sucessful.

3. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
    Yes, Danzig is one of my favs, but I was going for more of a Morrison kind of vibe. Either way it's a great compliment. Yeah, I do everything myself when I write songs. It is very difficult to find good musicians that are on the same page as me. It's either that they are really good but into their own thing or they really dig my music but aren't good enough to play it. I haven't had a lot of luck finding the right people but when I do I hope your right and we do become very successful. Thanks again.

P.S. I will be finishing some new stuff real soon. Check out my site every now and then to see if my newer tunes have been added. Thanks again.

4. Boplicity

I can appreciate the difficulty of starting a band with compatible musicians. You have one strong thing in your favor...your song is getting radio air play.

Musicians can be pretty selfish with their time. However, if they think they are going to be in a aband that might actually taste success, they are more interested in participating. Thus you may be able to attract a higher quality of musician.

The other way to go is to "settle" for a lesser level, but demand much of them and help them to grow to your level. You can already play the instruments yourself, so you should be able to help less experienced, but highly motivated musicians grow.

I really think you should explore having a band because demand for your music will increase and it will get more exposure if you can play some gigs.

5. Hi¡ I need help and ideas about how could I start a band and have a little succes. Ok, This is the thing, I have a pair of friends who play the guitar, I "play" the bass, two of us write songs and poetry. We are all at the very beginnin of our learning progress. I have just bought my bass and only know about theory, my other two friends have been playin for a couple of months or three and they know how to play some easy songs.
    I believe we could start right now because its very important to learn how to play together.
    We have 3 lyrics...still without music. I think if we use some simple chords and an easy bass rithm with a drummer machine o a vox we could make some beginners songs before having a drummer or taking our work more seriously. Anyway i want to play. And I want it now¡ please could you help me about how to introduce guitar melody in lyrics?...some advices and ill be pleased 4ever

6. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
    (for what its's worth) Learn songs. Lots and lots of cover songs. You can't expect to be able to write songs if you don't understand how they are put together. Don't expect your first songs to be amazing. It takes time to mold your own style of writing. Learn to shred. Learn super complicated songs and solos. Master it. Then forget it. After awhile when you're writing a new tune you will find yourself applying the techniques you learned in you own music, you own way. Then spend a lot of time learning all the great classic songs that will never die. Every number one song you can. Then after awhile you will be able to combine skill and tecnique with song writing wisdom. This is the hard part. How to be a player without over playing and how to be a good song writer without being predictable. Anyway that's way I've always approached writing songs. One last thing. Write for yourself. If one of your songs becomes a hit, you want it to be a song that you won't mind playing for the next 50 years.

7. Boplicity

BassPlayer#Dan, the advice Bax just gave you has a lot of merit. Mind you, following his advice will take time...a lot of time, but it is hard to take shortcuts and get worthwhile results.

My main point here, however, is that your question would get many more answers if you post it in the "Miscellaneous" forum or possibly "General Instruction" because our discussions here refer to specific recordings.

Meanwhile, as you "want it now", a quick and easy way to write a song is to take the chord progressions and structure of a song you like and change the melody over the chords. Play around with that idea and you might be surprised with your results. The first efforts may be pretty ragged. Keep trying. The experience is invaluable.

Keep working and experimenting. Try several different songs. You might end up combining the best parts from two or three of your songs into just one song. That's the way the nu-metal band I played in developed their originals. In other words, no song is ever engraved in stone. You can keep changing and modifying it until you and your band are really satisfied you have a winner.

Anyway, ask your question in one of the two forums I suggested and I am confident you will get lots of excellent advice to add to Bax's. Use this title for your new post..."Creating Guitar Melody for Lyrics?"